OT: laying ceramic tiles help

Sorry to be off topic, but maybe someone can help. I want to lay tiles in my basement. It has a good, solid concrete slab, but previously there was vinyl tiles glued to the concrete. I needed a torch to remove many of the old tiles, and quite a bit of old glue is in the pores of the concrete. I hear that thin set mortar will not stick well to such a surface (water beads up on it). Is this correct and if so, how do I prep the surface? Thanks for the help.

Doug

Reply to
kilerbbb

Please post in alt.home.repair.

That's why they have that newsgroup.

Reply to
Bob Davis

Spend the extra bucks to get "flex" mortar. There is enough acrylic admix in that stuff so it would stick to the vinyl. It handles more like mastic than regular thin set.

Reply to
Gfretwell

Google "John Bridge Tile" and spend some time in his forum. One of the hangouts were the 'pros' are actually quite helpful.

DLG

Reply to
DLGlos

Reply to
kilerbbb

There are a lot of options here.

  1. you can use latex modified thinset, expensive but it will allow a better bond.

  1. You could install a "crack" membrane. Basically a sheet product that has lots of holes that allow one side to be glued to the slab (with the same vinyl tile adhesive) and the other side to the tile with thinset. This stuff is used over slabs where there is some cracking, the membrane basically puts a rubber layer between the tile and slab.

  2. You could remove the vinyl glue and put the tile direct to the slab. You use a tile adhesive remover which you can buy at HD or other stores, but it really is exactly the same stuff as paint stripper. Get as much adhesive off first with a heat gun, then use the stripper, then use a belt sander to cut your way down to the slab.

Easiest/cheapest is #1, but you might have some problems if the vinyl adhesive starts to let go.

All out best is #3, but this takes a lot of work (a lot!) and is messy.

#2 is somewhat expensive but has the advantage of covering over cracks.

If it was my house and I had planned on staying, I'd try for #3, but if the area was too big I'd do #2. If I was going to sell in a year or two, I'd do #1

HTH

-Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Rowen