OT: Iceland

Page 4 of 8
Mike O. wrote:

As iceland is trying to join the EU , they have to play ball with both the Dutch and British governments otherwise any request will be vetoed
The UK government has already seized all asets belonging to Iceland within the UK anyway
On 3/7/2010 9:02 AM Robatoy spake thus:
[snip]

To the barricades!
Libert, galit, fraternit!

- a Usenet "apology"
On 3/7/2010 7:27 PM, David Nebenzahl wrote:

Yeah, that worked out really well for the French...
My reply is ...as far as Iceland goes with their monetary problems....WHO GIVES A RATS ASS? Quit whining to the world and fuck off... deal with what your elected leaders have dealt you...I assume you have elected leaders?..

Thank you for your helpful contribution.
On 3/8/2010 10:31 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Owning one's home is generally a good thing - but I just can't imagine /anyone/ actually needing a McMansion.
Perhaps a part of the solution might be to build smaller homes with lower cost of ownership that more people can /afford/ to purchase and own...
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Oh sure. With smaller countertops. Goodie. :-)
On Mon, 8 Mar 2010 08:57:09 -0800 (PST), the infamous Robatoy

No, no, no. No formal living or dining room, fewer bedrooms w/ bunkbeds, and a bigarse kitchen with loads of counterspace.
Half the house as kitchen with brekkie nook sounds about right, doesn't it, Toy?
-- Stay centered by accepting whatever you are doing. This is the ultimate. -- Chuang-tzu

I am all for that. Personally, I left a house with a large formal dining room long ago. Now if I need to feed more than 12, I rent a diningroom. With service and clean up. I used to enjoy cooking for a dozen but now I would rather have some food catered in so I can participate in all the parlor games as well. Pin The Tail On The Donkey being one of my favourites. <G>

A nice island that seats 6-8 and a nook for 4-6, yuppers. At least two ovens and at least two sinks. Six gas burners.

What has "need" to do with it?

My house is small, but a lot of people don't want to buy a house built 60 years or more ago. You also have to be prepared for reno costs and difficulties with older wiring, plumbing, plaster/lath walls etc. Although I will suggest, they are for the most part a better product.
--
Froz...

Right. I don't want an old house and I don't want a small house either. I can afford that choice, though.

So we're not talking about The Beaches? The Annex? Forest Hill? (I know what you're saying though...*IF* you don't want to screw with all that old stuff. But desirability in Toronto is all over 60 years old, IMHO. If I take a look at what happened in my old neighbourhood 100+ year old homes.) Damn I miss The Beaches sometimes.
On 3/08/10 2:22 PM, Robatoy wrote:

Not totally sure it is true, but I have heard my neighbourhood was built for workers for the Avro Arrow. How's that for a sad piece of Canadian history?
--
Froz...

On Mon, 8 Mar 2010 11:22:07 -0800 (PST), Robatoy

And you'll also miss the name. "The Beaches" has been officially renamed "The Beach". Happened last year. They've been busy fixing all the street signs in the area so the say "The Beach".
On 3/08/10 6:10 PM, Upscale wrote:

That's just because you can't swim in most of them anymore. ;-)
--
Froz...

I heard somebody listing a house in " North Beaches"...LOL..north of Gerard, south of Danforth. What a frickin' joke.

Nothing at all that I've been able to identify - and yet I watched the "average price of a new home" (realty statistics presented on local news) in the greater Des Moines area go over a quarter million dollars. There were a _lot_ more million-dollar homes being built than $100K homes... and this is an area that normally tends to be fiscally conservative...

Who said everything about "everyone"? (My world is not, apparently, as binary as yours.)
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Perhaps that's because that's the house people *want*. Of course there are more $M homes built than $100K homes. Two things drive this; government regulations and economics. Governments place requirements on developers and builders that drive costs up (some of these are good things like sewers). To make money, these costs have to be recovered. It's easier making it up $50K on a $M home than $100K home.
BTW, I looked in the Des Moines area (was offered a job there in '08 - I would have likely taken the position but it turned out to be a mess) and was quite happy with the prices. A quarter megabuck buys a nice home there. I ended up in Alabama, where the prices are similar. I paid $300K for what you might call a McMansion (2600sq ft), which in may situation is "fiscally conservative".

The point of the discussion was that "everyone" was *supposed* to be able to buy a home and the federal government tried to make it happen for even those who have no business buying an orange crate. We all see how that worked out.

That's true to a certain extent - but it wasn't government mandates that pushed the prices here. It was the combination of builder greed, too easy mortgages, and local government eagerness to see real estate tax revenue leap upward.
It was also not an eagerness of _most_ folks to live on private lakes and golf courses.
One of the effects was to make it difficult for young people at any level of income to have a home of their own at a price they could manage - and now the state has a problem because a *huge* percentage of graduates from the state universities have been deciding (with good reason) that they can't afford to live and work in Iowa, and find jobs elsewhere.

I understand all of the above fairly well (and have kept up to date with where the "messes" are). I was offered a job in San Francisco a while back with what in Iowa would be considered a truly exhorbitant salary, and turned it down because housing costs _way_ more than ate up the difference. (Every now and then I scratch my head and ponder a move to northern Georgia or western Virginia...)

Won't argue that. The road to hell _is_ paved with good intentions. Still, the fact remains that there is a need for housing for those who don't have large incomes (and/or have large outstanding college loans) and, here at least, that need is not being met.
I think there's a basic fallacy in any reasoning that leads one to conclude that because someone can't afford a $250K house, they're automatically unworthy to build equity with a $100K house.
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar