OT: Email Virus

"C Wood" wrote in news:3WKbb.10053$ snipped-for-privacy@nwrddc01.gnilink.net:

If it makes you feel better, I was getting over 1000/day at the weekend too. I have no idea what it is now, because I've just abandoned that address - it can fill up the server & start bouncing, it's not worth trying to keep logging in to delete the damn things (and Earthlink is too brain-dead to actually try & do anything about it).

John

Reply to
John McCoy

Luckily, my ISP has an anti-spam filter that will allow me to completely block entire domains so I went from about 100 a day down to a trickle. Once this nonsense runs its course, I'll lift the bans, but not until.

Reply to
Brian Henderson

Reply to
dteckie

It's bigger than that. Lots of people that wouldn't know a Usenet newsgroup from a ball pein hammer are getting the email.

Dennis Vogel

Reply to
dennisvogel

...what's a ball pein hammer???

Reply to
Tom Kohlman

You're kidding, right? In case you're not:

Reply to
dennisvogel

Reminds me of a woman I saw a couple of years ago at a local hardware store where her husband had sent her to get a metric hammer. She looked on her own for quite a while and then asked a clerk for help. She only became hyper agitated and ran out of the store when it dawned on her that he was trying to get rid of her.

Phil

Dennis snipped-for-privacy@patmedia.net wrote:

Phil

you think somebody should tell Stanley that it's spelled "peen"?

-- Jack Novak Buffalo, NY - USA

Reply to
Nova

> Do you think somebody should tell Stanley that it's spelled "peen"? >

Reply to
Alan McClure

See Peen. [1913 Webster]

Peen \Peen\ (p[=e]n), n. [Cf. G. pinne pane of a hammer.] (a) A round-edged, or hemispherical, end to the head of a hammer or sledge, used to stretch or bend metal by indentation. (b) The sharp-edged end of the head of a mason's hammer. [Spelt also pane, pein, and piend.] [1913 Webster]

FWIW, I've always thought of "peen" like "thru" as one of the revised, modernist spellings. "Pein" looks correct to my eyes.

Reply to
Silvan

Only if you're bean a peen in the arse about it.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

Silvan responds:

I've gotten so "peen" looks OK, but "thru" never will. Some time in the late '60s, very early '70s, I had an article in Modern Cycle, IIRC, and they had spelled "through" in the modern form, "thru", every time. I had never noticed it before, but have hated it ever since.

That may have been because they ran the article and didn't pay for it, though.

Charlie Self

"Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft." Theodore Roosevelt

Reply to
Charlie Self

I've been getting those for at least a year now.

Well then maybe I'm crazy or maybe I'm just plain mean. I report all the spam I receive. Most of the complaints are no doubt ignored since most spam these days comes from 'bullet proof' hosts that offer special 'pink contracts' to spammers. But here and there one gets whacked.

About once every 2,000 complaints I get a nice email from a sysadmin telling me they've terminated the spammer.

Reply to
Fred the Red Shirt