OT: Email Virus

I've been receiving about 20 emails a day with a virus or worm. It seems my email address has made it onto some email bot that keeps spitting them out. I was wondering if they got my email off one of the newsgroups I belong. Has anyone else on this group been experiencing the same problem for the last few days?

Reply to
Kennor

Kennor wrote:>I've been receiving about 20 emails a day with a virus or worm. It seems my

I deleted around 5 emails that had attachments from God knows who, subject line "virus". This was just this morning. Play safe! Tom

Someday, it'll all be over....

Reply to
Tom

The last few days I have literally 100's every time I pull mail...maybe close to a 1000 EACH DAY......

Norton Anti Virus says I am clean... mail programs deletes everything on the server when I pull it...and I NEVER open attachments unless it comes from my Mother... and she passed away years ago....

Seems there is nothing I can do to stop this thing... (automat.ahb) from what I can fingure out... who knows BUT it is starting to get to me BIG TIME....

Bob Griffiths

Reply to
Bob G

Thank god someone has it worse than me. I'm getting 30-40 copies a day, I feel much better now that you are getting 1000.

C Wood

What I'm getting is "message undeliverable" at 100+ a day. Seems somebody is sending out emails with my email address in the "reply-to" and/or "from" entries. And yes, I know it's not me :-).

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

consider yourself lucky. I'm getting about 5 per *MINUTE*.

Reply to
robert

To really make you feel good, I'm getting 1 a minute on two of my accounts (about 120 an hour).

djb

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Latest variety is running wild. About 200/day here since Thursday, half from "Microsoft" with the "latest patch" as an attachment (keep in mind that MS NEVER EVER communicates patches in this manner, only through automatic update if you turn it on). The other half are "bounce" messages that I understand are created at the same time as the first half and have a nasty "hidden" payload (no little paperclip symbol on these). Advice is to delete all without opening and empty your deleted items folder, then just ride it out. It isn't Spam so no sense in reporting as such although I'm guessing the Spam community has somehow infected itself, hence the E-mails coming from all over the globe from people you have never heard of.

With luck the authorities will catch a few more of these people of questionable parentage and then perhaps we'll get a few more push-stick ideas.

Reply to
Tom Kohlman

This is a copy (you can't get a virus from this) of what I have on my WebTV mail list which has filled it up:

Email Service Abort Report 9/23 MS Inet Mail System Bug Message 9/22 Microsoft Internet Email Storage Service (no subject) 9/22 Admin Error Advice 9/23 "" New Internet Security Pack 9/23 =

Microsoft Network Message Service Undeliverable Message 9/22 Security Section Newest Internet Critical Upgrade 9/22 Mail Delivery System Report 9/23 postmaster undeliverable mail returned to sender 9/22 MS Message Storage Service Message 9/22 ms inet email storage system Advice 9/22 Administrator Mail 9/22 Network Message System Undeliverable Mail User unknown 9/22 administrator Bug Advice 9/22 inet email system Undeliverable Message: User unknown 9/22 Security Assistance Latest Network Patch 9/22 MS Inet Mail System Returned Message: Returned To Mailer 9/22 Storage System Notice 9/21 Security Services Latest Network Critical Update 9/21 inet mail system failure notice 9/22 microsoft mail delivery system bug advice 9/21 Network Security Section Latest Net Pack 9/21 Admin (no subject) 9/22 Inet Mail Delivery Service Undeliverable Message 9/22 Net Mail Storage Service mail 9/22 Inet Message Delivery System Undelivered Mail: User unknown 9/22

I talked with their Customer Service and was told that they were aware of it but could do nothing about it. The spammer has been caught. It was caused in my case by my opening an e-mail from a friend that has a computer whose address book was invaded by a virus. I have gone to my secondary user address and so far (fingers crossed) that's OK.

Peace ~ Sir Edgar =F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8= =F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8

Reply to
Sir Edgar

Yes, they do. I've experimented with new e-mail addresses when I post to newsgroups. It takes about 72 hours to start getting spam on a new address. If you don't want spam, NEVER use your REAL address (unadorned) in your postings. There are plenty of ways to obfuscate your e-mail address that break robots but is easy for humans to handle.

See below: C

Reply to
Chris Merrill

Yes, lots. Don't open any of them, whatever you do or the people in your address book will hate you.

Dennis Vogel

Reply to
dennisvogel

...should add that it isn't unique to this NG. It does have a feature that tries to breed in that manner but that seems to be the last resort. From what I read, you will know it if you get it (install messages and the like) so the mass attack on your in-box has nothing to do with your computer.

Reply to
Tom Kohlman

as an alternative (not necessarily safe) to anti virus software, if you use Outlook you can stop it from downloading the entire msg by:

Go to Tools menu... Options item... Mail Setup tab... Send/Receive... Edit... check "Download item description only".

Greg

Reply to
Groggy

My ISP claims it will stop soon as people start putting the MS patch on. What I don't get is:

1) How so many people could be dumb enough to open obviously bogus attachments. My virus software didn't catch them at first, but they are so obvious. 2) Why my ISP can't filter them out, when my spam filter has no problem.
Reply to
JS

No, I think the email with the jumbled words is showing up more than that. ;-)

Dennis Vogel

Reply to
dennisvogel

Yes to #2. I had a big argument with my ISP. They actually told me that "no one uses filtering on email servers else why would there be so many viruses all the time."

Dennis Vogel

Reply to
dennisvogel

Reply to
Lazarus Long

1.a. How could anyone be dumb enough to write an email client that by default, executes inline executable commands in the body of the email? 1.b. How could anyone be dumb enough to write an email client that by default, automatically executes executable attachemnts? 1.c. How could anyone be dumb enough to write an email client that by default, writes executable commands into the body of the email?

Maybe they charge customers for bandwidth?

Reply to
Fred the Red Shirt

I think I read here recently that the person responsible for releasing the Swen virus had been caught. Anyone have details?

Dennis Vogel

Reply to
dennisvogel