OT: Borg rant

I needed just three items at the Borg today: one 1/4"-20 x 5" hex bolt, a 1/4" ID x 3/8" long nylon spacer, and about a dozen 1/8" x 1/2" aluminum pop rivets.

HD and Menards are almost next-door to each other, three miles from home. Lowes (my preference) is twice as far.

So I go to HD... find the bolt with no problem. Find the nylon spacers with no problem -- but none to be had in 3/8" length, of any diameter. No rivets to be found, anywhere on the fasteners aisle. Finally found an employee, who tells me they're in the tool department. Go over to tools. Steel rivets available in boxes of 15 or 50. Aluminum only in boxes of 50.

Head to the checkout with my twenty-two-cent bolt. Only two registers open, long lines at both, both cashiers waiting on price checks. GRRRRR.

Put the bolt down, head out the door, go to Menards.... where I find the spacer, and a package of 15 rivets, in a matter of moments... and then discover that the longest 1/4-20 bolt they sell is *four* inches, so I have to go back to HD for the stupid bolt anyway.

Man, I wish I'd just taken the time to drive the extra three miles to Lowe's.

Doug Miller

Been there done that, now I always drive the extra miles to Lowes. Better to do that than have all the aggravation at HD.

Reply to
Paul O.

I have a Lowes and HD almost next door to each other. I go to whichever one didn't cause me a problem on the last trip. I alternate on a fairly regular basis.

Rico

Reply to
Rico

Came close to having a HD only forty miles away, but they couldn't reach an agreement with the land sellers.

They were going to build across from Menards.

Nearest is 150 miles, so please excuse me for not commiserat> > Been there done that, now I always drive the extra miles to Lowes. Better to

Reply to
George
150 miles to a HD? Dam, in NJ you cant be more then 10 miles from at least one HD whereever you go. On my way to my parents house which is about 45 minutes away I pass at least 4 of them. Rich

Reply to
Rich

============================================= If you are like me..then you alternate every other trip....!

If I need 3 or more different items then I know before I hop in the truck that I will have to stop in both because neither of them will have all 3 ... That is a given !

Bob G.

Reply to
Bob G

Sometimes I think the whole world is just in too much of a hurry. We don't take the time to smell the roses.

You probably should have just waited in line. Ya might've met a fellow woodworker...and maybe made a new, local friend.

Shuda bought the long bolt...and a nut. Took it home...put on the nut...cut it to length...back off the nut.

I checked with Lowe's for you. They didn't have ANY of that stuff. Ya done good! Now...feel better?! lol

Have a nice week...

Trent

Cat...the OTHER white meat!

Reply to
Trent©

I recently remodeled my bathroom and went looking for a sink and faucet. Both HD and Lowe's had the Kohler items that I wanted at the same price. The only problem was that the hole spacing in the sink at HD would not fit the faucet they had and vice versa at Lowe's. Fortunately they are across the road from each other so I bought the sink at HD and the faucet at Lowe's. Peace ~ Sir Edgar =F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8= =F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8

Reply to
Sir Edgar

registers open,

And now you know why they never seem to have what you need in stock - some dumbass decides that he's to important to wait in line and drops merchandise all over the store instead of acting like an adult and putting it back where he got it.

Reply to
Steve

Shhhh! That's supposed to be secret.

Rico

Reply to
Rico

Reply to
Bob Bowles

If I needed a 5" bolt (see above), what good does that do me?

Doug Miller

Our HDs don't have self-pay lanes. Didn't think about the nursery, though. Thanks for the tip. I'll try it sometime.

Doug Miller

Reply to
Buttonhole McGee

I have never understood why a retailer would expect people who want to give him money to stand in long lines. I have noticed that the poorer the neighborhood the store is in the fewer the checkers and the longer the lines.

Reply to
rjs

For hardware stuff like that I just head for the local farm supply place. They have it all, in a higher quality and at a better price than the borg does. On the other hand, the youngest checker in the store is about 45, so there isn't anything to stare at while you wait in line - and they do tend to have as much of a line as the borg.

Tim Douglass

Tim Douglass

In San Jose: the new HD on Hillsdale, near Target, and the bit older one down on Capitol Expressway. There's a very nice HD on Saratoga Sunnyvale road, but too far for me to go. I just happened to be over there one day, so I popped in for a look-see.

dave

Butt> Dave, I wanted to ask you - you posted recently a tale of woe and

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

Funny, I have never understood why a retailer should have 20 checkers standing around all day just in case they might get 20 customer at once.

And I really don't think they care that Doug made his $1.50 purchase elsewhere. They don't make money on that stuff...

Reply to
Chris Merrill

but they will make money if he is a loyal customer. Stores that can't keep common stuff in stock irritate their customers and do themselves no good. Him going elsewhere may become a habit.

dave

Chris Merrill wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

LOL Trent was using that "New" math... 20 x 5" = 100"...

Reply to
Leon