OT - Anyone Snowed In This Morning

Southeast Kansas:

They ran the road grader down the road in front of the house two or three times yesterday. Can't even tell where the road is his morning. Our 120' driveway is knee to thigh high all the way out to the "road" My neighbor's 4x4 is in his drive with snow to the middle or top of the tires.

Oh Well. Generator is ready, fuel ready, potato soup ready, firewood on the porch, beer in the fridge.

Emergency Preparedness!

RonB ;o)

Reply to
RonB

There ya go! Canadian For A Day, eh?

Reply to
Robatoy

How did you do Rob? somehow we only got about 4cm here, yet they are saying the city (Toronto for the rest of you), got about 15cm.

Reply to
FrozenNorth

RonB wrote the following:

I remember on Lincoln's birthday (Feb.12th) back in the early 80s we had a huge snowstorm overnight. In the parking lot of our apartment house, my friend's MG was snow covered to the point where he couldn't see where it was parked. The only clue was a snow lump between two full sized cars whose window tops were the only thing showing.

Reply to
willshak

We got maybe 15 cm, but it is very dense, wet packing stuff. A shovel- full weighs a ton. I did drive Angela to work and roads were fine. I guess they actually managed to stay ahead with the plows for a change.

Reply to
Robatoy

Now _I_ remember when... :)

1957 late March...when it quit snowing and blowing after 3 days we had a drift that was within about a foot of the top of 30-ft light pole. Buried every one-story building on the place including completely over the small farrowing house. Have picture taken about a week later (no time for pictures before that) of brother and myself on the drift by the pole -- it was still over 3/4 way up; we were at the line height...

Driveway had 6-ft fences on both sides--it filled it level full from the road the 100 yds all the way to the barn and on south past the corrals.

--

Reply to
dpb

Ours looks light and fluffy, haven't ventured outside yet.

Reply to
FrozenNorth

We don't seem too bad this morning...so far. We have drifts half way up some of the higher windows and it is a little dark in here with the severe winds on this mountain.

Highways are all closed now.

1957 late March...when it quit snowing and blowing after 3 days we had a drift that was within about a foot of the top of 30-ft light pole. Buried every one-story building on the place including completely over the small farrowing house. Have picture taken about a week later (no time for pictures before that) of brother and myself on the drift by the pole -- it was still over 3/4 way up; we were at the line height...

Driveway had 6-ft fences on both sides--it filled it level full from the road the 100 yds all the way to the barn and on south past the corrals.

Reply to
Josepi

I remember a big storm Dec '99 threatening to close down Toronto's Pearson Int'l airport. The last plane out was a flight to Melbourne Australia (via Honolulu) ... I was ON IT!!!! My buddy, who dropped me off at the airport, took 8 hours to get back to Sarnia, normally a 2.5 hour drive. He told me later that he cursed me all the way home ..LOL

Reply to
Robatoy

We got our 15" last week. This morning it's a 1/2" sheet of ice on everything. I'd much rather the snow.

RicodJour

QFT... Ice takes down power lines, you can't shovel ice, you can't really drive on ice, ice baaaad.

Reply to
Robatoy

? "RonB" wrote

We're slow at work this time of year so yesterday I decided to just shut the place down today. Why risk a dozen people travelling is snow and ice to do what can be done tomorrow?

We can get out if we want to, but we don't want to. No practical reason. Our town (in CT) does a good job of snow removal. If I can get out my driveway, I can get around town. Total before yesterday was 71".

Yesterday, I slipped on ice, fell backwards and banged the back of my head. Never had a concussion like this before, don't want one again.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I looked at the 6" of snow in my driveway this morning but didn't start up the snow blower mounted 18 HP garden tractor to clean it. I knew the freezing rain was coming later, so I put off cleaning the driveway until later. The temp is supposed to reach 34º F. I figured I'd rather have the freezing rain and ice laying on top of the snow than on a cleaned driveway. The blower can handle both.

Reply to
willshak

We got hammered in So Or last night. It has dropped to 27F and there is nearly 1/16" of frost on the roofs. I wonder when FEMA will get here...

-- To the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure. -- J. K. Rowling

Reply to
Larry Jaques

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in news:6tqdnZZLlp2y5dTQnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

It's nt too bad here in North Jersey. There is about 2-3 inches frozen precip, but at least on the car it's wet underneath. Even our cul-de-sac in Radburn got "plowed" by the town's miniplow. We'll wait a little before venturing out. Locally, the schools are closed, but our daughter had to go and teach at the Soth Orane/Maplewood high school.

Reply to
Han

I remember last week it was 71 degrees here. Small drizzle last night, only 55 degrees so far today.

Reply to
Gerald Ross

Ouch. Sorry to hear about the bumpin-noggin, Ed.

Be careful out there.

RicodJour

"Robatoy" wrote

Would you please close the door! It's currently 14° here in El Paso.

Max

Reply to
Max

I remember back in 2000 when my Chevy Silverado HD 2500 was the same way. I hired a guy with a Bobcat to dig it out.

Reply to
Nova

The forecast called for 10" - 18" in Buffalo. We got about 3". I'm not complaining though.

Reply to
Nova