OT - A Little Snow in the Northeast

Well, so much for any shop time today with the 2" per hour we're getting here right now. But we can't complain - just north of us a few miles they have 5' of the fluffy stuff on the ground already and another storm forecasted. We're at almost 3' now and we'll be in the path of that storm...

I shoveled a path thru that the other day so I could get to the shop and now it's all filled in again.... some days ya just can't win...

How ya all doing? (and no smart-a** comments from those that can look up and see the sun either...)

Bob S.

Reply to
Bob S.

I have friends in Oswego NY - they have almost 90" on the ground already in the past 6 days.

Im in NC - a bit chilly here - was down to 25 this morning. But not as bad a my buddy in MN - it was like -27 or something ungodly cold like that yesterday.

I think its time to move further south - like the equator ;)

Reply to
Rob V

It's 58 and raining football fans here in Houston.

Reply to
Swingman

Bob S. wrote: [snip]

Maybe this time you can dig a tunnel and have done with it. :-)

Can't see the sun yet. Fog/clouds rolled in to our mountaintop last night. No storms until Monday night. Lots of folks coming up Sunday for the Super Bowl followed by "super Survivor". Think I'll catch the game and then work on my curmudgeon for a couple hours. Replays of the Super Bowl commercials later. So this is what passes for civilization in the US of A. I knew this would happen if those Republicans got into office. humph, jo4hn

Reply to
jo4hn

According to NWS, up to 41" of hard packed snow in my area. I'm averaging a bit over two and a half on the level right now. 140+ so far this winter.

Difference is, ours will be here 'till May, yours won't last the week.

Reply to
George

Nah, it's cloudy here in Tucson this morning, so I can't see the sun. Will be opening the doors and windows after the morning chill is off though.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

Yeah, I've heard it's not all that much fun for the locals having the Super Bowl in one's town.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

I think less than 3' is the most I've ever seen, except in drifts. A 24" snowfall is crippling here. How do you keep your roof from caving in with

5' of snow on the ground? How do you keep your house from rotting with all that water piled up above the windows? How do you get out to your mailbox? :)

It's cold as balls. I tried to walk the nature trail with my kids, but I came to my senses. We didn't need to see the frozen waterfall that badly.

I only have 6" of snow on the ground, and it's bright and sunny, but cold. Cold by our standards anyway. Way above 0 F, but well below freezing.

I finally had to shut down one of my ponds. I have a really cool ice sculpture out there. A pile of pebbled brownish, frothy looking ice with a

24" well and an almost dry pump at the bottom. All the water came up, blew out, and froze, so the pond is all but empty.

It hasn't been above freezing here for over a week now. So much for my early optimism about an early spring. The ground has spent more time white than not since December. Unusual for Virginia.

Reply to
Silvan

SWMBO rented /El mariachi/ last night, and I watched it without subtitles, and pretty well understood it. Mexico didn't look *that* bad.

That was a good movie, BTW. I usually don't like foreign movies. French movies suck. Spanish movies suck. German movies suck. Only in America do we have the dependable, ridiculously sappy happy ending.

Reply to
Silvan

I am NOT going to complain .... afternoon Tempature is now 21 degrees and there is only about 8 inches of snow on the ground... (65 miles from Both Washington DC and Baltimore Md...about 25 miles from Gettysburg Pa)...25 Miles from Leesbug Va....

I am in need of about 50 to 100 BF of plain old Poplar ..have cash..have dealer...what I do not have is a way to get the truck even close to the shop to unload it.... Us OLD 60+ year old guys just can't work like we used to... so I have been kind of goofing off (cleaning and fiddling around) in the shop the last few days....

Spring is in the near future however so there is hope...

Bob Griffiths

Reply to
grif

Mexico hardly counts as "foreign"

Watch both versions of "Nikita", then tell me that.

Anything by Almodóvar.

Run Lola Run

Even _East_ German films (Good bye, Lenin! ) have stopped sucking.

These days even Danish films like Dogville (OK, it's arguably French) don't suck and have Nicole Kidman in them too.

And that's why you get so caught out by reality like Iraq.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

When I was growing up in MI, we had a fun winter back in '67? '69? something like that. Walked back from school with a bunch of friends, about 5 miles and into the house on the 2nd story. We all stayed there for the next week and a half. No mail, so who cares about the mailbox. Fresh food walked into the back yard, and was dragged onto the balcony to be dressed and butchered. We lost a bunch of people that winter. I'm so glad that we don't get that kind of snow here in VA. Dave in Fairfax

Reply to
dave

How old were you then? (I turned 10 in 1969 FWIW... ;-)

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde

You a UPer?

Reply to
George

Getting out of HS, no middle schools back then either. Dave in Fairfax

Reply to
dave

Only in spirit. Portage outside of Kalamazoo. NE corner of 94 and 131 where the swamp was. I'm told they built houses there. God knows how, those were deep lakes and lots of artesian springs, like ground level water fountains. Dave in Fairfax

Reply to
dave

I wish that you hadn't used that term, George.

Many years ago I had a girlfriend who was a Yooper.

This relationship was of such a degree that I went home with her at Christmas one year.

Yoopers are insane.

They live in a climate that ain't fit fer man nor beast and live to make fun of East Coast sissies, such as myself.

That's not the worst of it.

They were only transplant Yoopers.

The following Christmas I went to their actual ancestral home.

Her Dad had grown up in, and had been a hockey coach in, their home town of Bemidji, in the great state of Minnesota.

Oh Lord !

These folks thought of the area that Yoopers lived in to be a great place to go for relief from the winters on the range.

I've never been so cold in my life.

Happily, I married a sensible girl from a Southern State - Pennsylvania.

Thomas J. Watson-Cabinetmaker (ret) Real Email is: tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet Website:

Tom Watson

Hmmm, it may snow a few flakes (or rain) tonight but even if it does it'll be history by 8am at the latest tomorrow. I sat outside in a short sleeved shirt yesterday in front of the shop leafing through The Complete Book of Woodworking. It's 42º out now (9pm) and should get down to a chilly 27º tonight - nyuk nyuk nyuk. At last, some humidity in Albuquerque, where it's drier than a popcorn fart.

Reply to
Grandpa

Yep, one of the joys of the place is that the rigors of the climate keeps the faint-hearted away.

They come for the weekend or the week, drop scads of money, then, thankfully, leave. Unless I have to retrieve their snowmobile-suited remains from one of the local maples (OBWW).

Reply to
George

Have some good friends that live down in Alamogordo now. We both used to live in Great Falls, Montana where in the 1970's it was -40 deg for 30 days... Yes, we survived it and got the T-shirt too...

Bob S.

Reply to
Bob S.