Need a good cheap hand-held drill guide (mostly for 90° drilling)

I mostly need something to guide my handheld drill when I need to make holes perfectly perpendicular to the wood surface.

I found this guy:

does angles, though it's unclear how rigid it is. My needs are for

90° but angles could be of use someday.
Reply to
Thomas G. Marshall

Might be worth the $26 they are asking for it.

Or you could use a drill press. There are many other examples, some better (and some worse) to do what you want.

Reply to
PeterD

Make your own jig out of scraps. Edge glue/nail together 2 pieces of 1x2 to form a V. Cut the ends off square. Place your drill bit in the V and hold it against the desired hole location. For angled holes cut the jig end off at the desired angle. Good. Free. Hand held.

Art

Reply to
Artemus

PeterD wrote: : "Thomas G. Marshall" wrote: : >

: >I found this guy: : >

: >

vName=Tools&cName=Power+Tool+Accessories&sName=Drill+Doctor+%26+Drill+Attachments

: Might be worth the $26 they are asking for it.

No, it's not. I bought it and tried to use it once. I couldn't tighten the chuck enough to keep the bit from spinning.

Anyone ever put a Forstner bit into a plunge router? Seems like this device is basically a plunge base for a hand-held drill.

--- Chip

Reply to
Chip Buchholtz

Artemus said something like:

I like how you think....I may do just this....I was planning on using a press to cut trusted holes in a block of hardwood of every diameter from dinky to 1/2" to match all my drill bits....like the V thing better.....but....neither idea works well because I lose the depth of the bit, unless I get all new extra long bits.

Reply to
Thomas G. Marshall

(???) Even with the key?

I have precisely that problem with my B&D key-less chuck, but that's understandable, or at least more-so.

It's annoying, to be sure. But the key couldn't clamp that thing down tight enough? At least most of my bits have a hex shank.....

...[rip]...

Reply to
Thomas G. Marshall

Oh, I'm sure some idiot has.

But you'll not catch me putting a bit designed for cutting at hundreds of RPM into a device that spins it at thousands of RPM.

Let us know how it works out for you, though.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

I don't know...a similar one works for me.

I have this one:

is, I paid less than half this price at the BORG. I have no idea why it is so much at the manufacturer's site.

Reply to
busbus

Thomas G. Marshall wrote: : Chip Buchholtz said something like: : >

: > No, it's not. I bought it and tried to use it once. I couldn't : > tighten the chuck enough to keep the bit from spinning.

: (???) Even with the key?

: It's annoying, to be sure. But the key couldn't clamp that thing : down tightenough? At least most of my bits have a hex shank.....

OK, I went down to the shop to try it out again.

Using a 1/2" Forstner bit and a Craftsman cordless drill with a keyless chuck, it did fine. The posts make it difficult to tighten the drill's chuck. Attaching the drill is a three hand operation; I found I needed to rest the jig base on the edge of a table so that I could use two hands to tighten the chuck with everything lined up horizontally.

The thing is reasonably solid for something that inexpensive. The tops of the posts wiggle about 3/16" each way with moderate force.

I think my previous attempt was with a 2" Forstner bit; it worked with my keyless drill, but didn't work with the jig. I don't remember whether my drill's keyless chuck slipped on the jig, or if the jig's chuck slipped on the bit.

The base has holes so you can screw it to a sheet of plywood or a jig if you want.

It's not junk, and it may be a good solution for some problems.

--- Chip

Reply to
Chip Buchholtz

Thomas G. Marshall wrote: : ...but....neither idea works well because I lose the depth of the : bit, unless I get all new extra long bits.

Which reminds me, the chuck on the Sears thing stops an inch or two away from the work piece. You might be able to get closer by taking off the springs.

--- Chip

Reply to
Chip Buchholtz

I've used this one for years, and I like it. Good, fast, and cheap.

Dacon

Reply to
Tom Dacon

I have one of the Sears things, and it works well enough if you don't need exactly 90 degrees. Chip is right, with the springs it won't get right next to the work - I took the springs out right away and can get very near the work surface. Kerry

Reply to
Kerry Montgomery

Please film the forstner bit in a router and upload it to YouTube.

Reply to
B A R R Y

>>> Which does angles, though it's unclear how rigid it is. My needs are for

Hmmm.....

Since I posted this, it's gone from "in stock" to "out of stock" at sears......perhaps I need to keep such things to myself... :)

Reply to
Thomas G. Marshall

Are you sure about the 90° ????? I mean, @#$%, that's *the* *whole* *POINT* ....

Reply to
Thomas G. Marshall

Chip Buchholtz said something like:

...[rip]...

Ah, ok.

This brings up something I was unprepared for: I had thought that the top shaft of the jig (that goes into your drill) was hex, not round. The picture looked a little that way to me, though I must've been wrong.

That bothers me a little: I am not a fan of trying to clamp down my keyless chuck onto round bits....the black & decker FireStorm I have just doesn't do a tight enough job.

...[rip]...

Reply to
Thomas G. Marshall

Reply to
Thomas G. Marshall

Thomas G. Marshall wrote: : Are you sure about the 90? ????? I mean, @#$%, that's *the* *whole* *POINT* : ....

Nothing is going to give you a perfect 90 every time. This is closer than what you can do freehand. A cheap drill press will be closer. A good drill press will be closer still, and I'm sure you could spend thousands of dollars to get even closer.

As I said, there's a little wiggle to the posts. Also, you set the angle you want and tighten up the screws to set it. So, you can be off when you set the angle, and the thing can wiggle while you drill. Not perfect. But maybe good enough.

--- Chip

Reply to
Chip Buchholtz