Hair Drill Warning

Using one of those 24" drill bits (from HFT) to drill a hole through three pieces of material while standing on a ladder I felt something.

I kept on going and drilled the first eight-inch hole, drove in the bolt and tightened it up before proceeding to drill the hole for the second bolt.

This time, I turned my head to sight down the bit to make sure I drilled a straight hole and really felt something.

My long hair had wrapped around the drill bit so tight that I actually pulled a 2 x 3" patch of hair from my scalp!

Hurt like hell for a minute or so while my wife (glad she was there) helped me reverse the bit, get off the ladder and extricate my head from my electric drill.

Thought it was worth posting my wife's advice - "pull your hair back and wrap it in a pony tail."

Reply to
Hoosierpopi

I'd cut the long hair off. Least you could do is wear a cap and tuck your mop under it. Long hair and rotating machinery are a very dangerous combination . Your lucky it wasn't a gear driven pedestal drill . I saw a guy have his scalp ripped clean off his head using a radial arm tool room drill . Made me sick in the guts.

Reply to
Kevin(Bluey)

------------------------- Try a haircut.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

At my high school, there was a student with about half of his hair ripped off taped to the drill press.

In the last few days, my wife and I worked out a rule about interrupting me while I am working with electrical wiring or power tools. She did not "get it" until I more carefully explained how important it is for me to keep my concentration during those times. So far, just saying "remember our main rule" has allowed me to stay on track.

A 30 year-old story my mother seems to like to tell is when I was painting the trim on her 2nd-story windows on a ladder, and she turned and said good-bye to me as she was leaving. Both hands full, I turned towards her and had a "real-interesting" moment there as I searched for my center of gravity. My wife had heard that story, and when I recalled it this week, she "got it".

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Of course, I meant to write: At my high school, there was a *picture* of a student with about half of his hair ripped off taped to the drill press.

Reply to
Bill

Stuart

barffff eeeerrrk , I didnt really need that ,I've been around rotating machinery all my working life and I know what it can do . I've seen a few gorey episodes in the last 45 years . wearing gloves while usiing drills ,long hair around drills and clothing getting caught in lathes. Digits being removed by rotating vee belts etc.

Reply to
Kevin(Bluey)

Ouch!

I worked at a log house factory back in the 70"s and saw a guy get about half his hair yanked out on a large pantograph router, busted his head up badly when it smacked the side of the machine. He was lucky all he lost was hair.

I have long hair and keep it tied in a pony tail most all the time, especially when working.

Reply to
basilisk

I liked the first one better. :)

Reply to
CW

I had similar "discussions" with SWMBO, years ago. She now refuses to be in the area when I'm working, which means no more help. Be warned.

Reply to
keithw86

I used to. Then my router started climbing my hair. Fortunately it stalled before it got to my face. I walked into the first barber shop (or what passes for one these days) I saw and asked for a #2 buzz cut. The guy looked at me like I was nuts. I asked him what the problem was. He had no idea what "#2 buzz cut" meant. I thanked him for his time, went down to Wally World and shelled out 20 bucks for a clipper, put the #2 comb on it, and problem solved.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Long hair becomes the sixth appendage to keep out of harms way, annoying sometimes.

basilisk

Reply to
basilisk

Damn hippies!

Reply to
Robatoy

I arrange to meet people all over the south when delivering dogs and I tell them to look for the ugliest, leftover hippie in sight.

Don't want to scare them, they have to have some warning.

basilisk

Reply to
basilisk

Damn hippies! =================

That what I was going to say.

Reminds me of a story told to me by a reserve sheriff deputy. He was working one night and had to arrest a drunk and combative woman. She grabbed his hair and pulled a bunch of off of his head. He went to the hospital and had it sewed back on. Just as soon as it healed up, he went to the barber shop. He has had short hair ever since. He learned his lesson.

I used to have long hair and I still like the look of it. Initally it was because my father did not approve of it. But there is a host of practical considerations that make long hair a liability in a lot of situations. And personal safety ranks right up there at the top of the list. You have to look at the risk/benefits ratio. Is the long hair worth the risk to life and limb? Or in this case, life and scalp.

Besides, if my hair is short and I am shaved, I don't have to listen to my wife bitch about it all the time.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

"basilisk" wrote

There ya go. An ugly warning.

I never thought of that. But it makes sense.

That is very considerate of you.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

I have to admit it isn't all altruistic, I don't want to drive 200 miles and then lose a sale because my clients fled in terror.

basilisk

Reply to
basilisk

I was going to ask.

What was taped?

The student half the hair or the high school?

LOL Good post proofreading!

Of course, I meant to write: At my high school, there was a *picture* of a student with about half of his hair ripped off taped to the drill press.

Reply to
Josepi

People shouldn't be wearing any clothes around rotating machinery, except for men and they should wear.... well..., some men should wear...

I'd cut the long hair off.

Reply to
Josepi

I always wondered why the variable speed on those things.

And now, many come with the purple sex lights by the bit holder too!

Oh !!!!!! wait I get it now

Reply to
Josepi