Consumer Products Safety Commision - New table saw rules on the horizon. (sawstop, et. al.)

advance notice of proposed rulemaking for performance requirements to address table saw blade contact injuries.

September 14, 2011

Mike Paulsen

So, there will be a sudden growth in machinery sales outlets in Canada & Mexico, just near border crossing points. Grizzly, Jet, etc will set up some large warehouses nearby, improving employment in those 'foreign' areas too. Wonder if they can get a "foreign aid' grant as well?

As well, existing saws will go up in value, even old junkers will be worth refurbishing.

regards Bruce

Reply to
bsrlee

Funny the document discusses all kinds of incidents from table saws then ends up focusing on Saw Stop which addresses only contact with blade accidents. Wot a surprise!

This may be a good thing but no surprise that a particular manufacturer is driving it.

advance notice of proposed rulemaking for performance requirements to address table saw blade contact injuries.

September 14, 2011

m II

On April 15, 2003, Stephen Gass, David Fanning, and James Fulmer, et al. (?petitioners?) requested that we require performance standards for a system to reduce or prevent injuries from contact with the blade of a table saw."

I wonder how much Stephed Gass (SawStop's inventor, BTW) has contributed to Obama's re-election campaign.

Reply to
krw

ote:

Billions.

That's not how it works. The guy has a new and improved mouse trap, he's a lawyer and he knows how to work the system.

If you or I came up with a new and improved mouse trap that's related to safety, has potentially many millions in sales, and we stuck with it for many years, we could have our own legislation, too. ;)

RicodJour

Probably as much as all of the other "inventors" who have coerced the government into making their devices safety requirements.

I am waiting for the government to required the little plastic "save a deers life alerts" to be required on all cars because of the number of deer accidents.

If you invent something the best way to make it pay is to say it is a safety device and pay off government workers in a regulatory agency to get it to be made a required safety device on something.

Reply to
k-nuttle

and his lawyers and burn the place to the ground.

If he wants to sell saws fine. If he wants to make it law that everybody buy his product, he needs to be taken down.

Reply to
J. Clarke

protest it in a meaningful fashion.

Reply to
J. Clarke

I realize that table saws are inherently dangerous. But I wonder how many injuries (needing something more than a band-aid) there actually are per man-hour of use. Is this an area where the country really needs government control?

Reply to
Just Wondering

For instance?

Reply to
krw

FWIG, it's not infinitesimal, but you're right. It's none of government's damned business.

Reply to
krw

Al Gore.

Reply to
-MIKE-

"Safety requirement(s)"? ...but your point is taken.

Reply to
krw

" snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

They require ground fault interruptors, really good grounding and a host of other safety-related things. Why not this? I agree, it looks like it should be personal option, but I'd like to get a discount on my medical insurance for having a sawstop ... (Which I don't have (yet))

Reply to
Han

Yes, all that silly "cap & trade (tax)" and other government "emissions" mandates are for our collective "safety."

Reply to
-MIKE-

I agree. But what surprises me is that health care providers haven't tried to make it their business. Someone who uses sharp tools is probably more likely to be cut by one than someone who doesn't own any. Reminiscent of Bill Clinton, if any one asks, "When I saw I don't use a TS--and if I do, I leave it unplugged!".

Reply to
Bill

The federal government does no such thing! If you find an insurance carrier that gives a discount for a SawStop, or for that matter a flat roof, who cares?! Your choice and theirs.

I wouldn't buy a SawStop! didn't

Reply to
krw

How about that bicycle in your garage? Skis? Is your garage messy? Is your lawn as smooth as a putting green?

Reply to
krw

My home and life insurance companies never asked about a shop or power tools, so I am pretty sure I wouldn't get a discount. Don't really need health insurance in Canada, so I don't know about it being on the list of questions.

Reply to
FrozenNorth

wrote

Our workman's comp carrier is strongly recommending them. I don't know if they discount rates though, since we have no saws at work.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski