Bandsaw metrics

The belt on my bandsaw is slipping. I have tightened it as far as the motor will move already. I decided to take it and get a new belt. Now the good part. The lower wheel will have to be removed. It is held on the shaft by a 26mm nut. Can't use an adjustable wrench because the wheel protrudes around the nut. Of all the sockets I have accumulated in the past 50 years, there is no 26 mm socket. I either order a socket to fit the nut or cut off the flange that surrounds it.

I ordered a socket. It is probably made in Taiwan like the bandsaw. Got to love those far-thinking Chinese.

Reply to
G. Ross

You could have put a link belt on just cut the old off, and link it on, then put it around the motor sheave. Link belts while a little noisier are way nicer vibration wise.

Reply to
woodchucker

A six point 1 1/8" might work (common), a 1 1/16" is closer but harder to find. A 1" might be worth a try. Some of the impacts run a little large.

I needed a 16mm to remove a faucet a day ago. Every metric set I have jumps from 15 to 17...

I've spent a lot of time lately in pawn shops looking through bins of sockets, depressing...

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Thies

Damned faucet manufacturers seem to delight in making attachment 'non standard', particularly when dealing with "cartridges" and their replacement installation.

I'm still waiting on Kohler to deliver parts for two, 12 year old faucets, on the same vanity, which failed within days of each other.

Synchronized obsolescence.

Reply to
Swingman

Jeff Thies wrote in news:ld84sl$gvh$ snipped-for-privacy@news.albasani.net:

Doubtful. 26mm is less than 1 1/32".

Where are you shopping, that you have trouble finding a 1 1/16" socket?

More likely to work than 1 1/8"...

16mm and 5/8 inch are basically interchangeable. The difference is less than 0.005".

You can buy 16mm sockets at Sears.

Reply to
Doug Miller

I hate Moen, and a few others. Delta seems to be pretty good for parts.

I had to get parts for my Dad's (now gone) Kohler bathroom faucet. 70 + years old, and they had them...

Perhaps they don't make them like they used to.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Thies

I always had good luck finding large sockets at the local auto part chain store (Auto Zone). Prices are tolerable for something you may only use once and it beats waiting for an order to arrive.

-BR

Brewster

Delta has a few tiers of quality, so you need to be aware of what you're buying, most particularly when purchasing from the Home Depot, Lowes, et al.

It it's cheap, you are buying "cheap", not inexpensive. There's a big difference.

One of the good things about using Kohler, as a builder, is that I can leave the documentation with the homeowner in a "House Book", and specifically let them know that Kohler generally keeps parts for years for discontinued fixtures, which they will ship to you free of charge.

Kohler customer service is still relatively responsive compared to other.

Unequivocally they do not, but that does not mean they are worse, just with more features, and thereby more complicated, which indeed causes its own set of problems.

Reply to
Swingman

Like trying to buy a replacement mop head a year later.

Didn't know that, but it makes sense. I tend not to trust anything from HD. Unfortunately it is the closest and I can bring stuff home hanging out my car window and not worry...

The one I bought for the rental's kitchen came with a lifetime guarantee. I thought, pretty good for $75. Maybe it means less than I thought. I always ask what to stay away from and the sales people always have definite opinions on that! One should never knowingly buy trouble.

I see that we are in the age of touchless faucets. Last trip out I saw several selling for big markdowns.

On the other hand my bathroom faucet, circa 1929, is still going. Nothing complicated in that! And metal outlasts plastic.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Thies

I've run into similar socket problems on power tools and on motorcycles. So far, all of the sizes I've needed (and I'm sure one was a 26mm) I've found at Harbor Freight. Not the highest quality, but these are not tools I'm going to use every day

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

And washers are cheap. ;)

Then again, kitchens and bathroom are what sell houses, and women are the tail that wags that dog.

Couldn't tell by me, but some kitchen and bath faucets/fixtures are apparently sexier than others ... mostly directly proportional to the price, and inversely proportional to longevity.

Reply to
Swingman

On 2/9/2014 10:20 AM, Swingman wrote: > On 2/9/2014 8:55 AM, Jeff Thies wrote: > >> I needed a 16mm to remove a faucet a day ago. Every metric set I have >> jumps from 15 to 17... > > Damned faucet manufacturers seem to delight in making attachment 'non > standard', particularly when dealing with "cartridges" and their > replacement installation. > > I'm still waiting on Kohler to deliver parts for two, 12 year old > faucets, on the same vanity, which failed within days of each other. > > Synchronized obsolescence.

I'm afraid this goes way back and wasn't invented in Asia.

Back in the early Seventies I managed to shear off the threaded portion of a microphone stand (in a particularly foolish way) and decided to see if I could avoid buying a new one.

There was a tool & die place just up the block from my parents' house. I showed it to the guy, who - although there'd probably have been no profit in it - said he could rethread it quickly for just a few bucks.

I said that would be great. He took out a gauge of some kind and tried to match it up with the mating threads. Nope, too coarse. He grabbed the next one. Nope. Too fine. With a puzzled look he explained that 27 threads per inch was what was needed, apparently unique to the mike stand trade. And still the case, I believe.

Reply to
Greg Guarino

Big difference in locks too. See schlage at HD or Lowes, then goto a locksmith. in the big box the bolt is basically white metal, at a locksmith they will be solid brass usually

Reply to
woodchucker

And that is where a thread file comes in handy:

note the 27.

Requires patience, and perhaps drinking.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Thies

  1. Thanks for the tip. I didn't know such a tool existed.

  1. It wouldn't have helped. Although usually behind a keyboard, I was getting a rare turn out front as the lead singer, back when I felt I was qualified. For a dramatic, if cliched, ending, I would jump up in the air (to my full vertical leap of a few inches) and the band would accent the last note when I came down. One night I came down on the cast iron base of the stand while holding the top of the stand in my hand. Luckily is was the stand that broke, rather than my ankle. The threaded bit broke away from the pipe completely.

Reply to
Greg Guarino

Dang, I so miss that hand pump outside the back door :)

Reply to
dadiOH

How many kitchens and baths last 85 years, anymore? *LONG* before that, they're gutted and replaced with the new toys.

Reply to
krw

My house is 35 years old. Just finished one bathroom and planning the next. Already have the floor tile. Anyone want a blue toilet?

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I remember some relatives back in the 1940s who were very proud of their new indoor plumbing. The hand pump was in the kitchen :-).

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

And, how many old homes have trashed the plaster and replaced with shitrock? Plaster has a feel, texture and density that can't be replicated. And nobody has mold problems with it as it has no cellulose.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Thies