Subject Author Posted Replies

Is there much of an R value to sheetrock?
I'm getting ready to do the exterior walls in my garage (workshop) here in the Portsmouth, NH area. I'm going to use R-19 exterior (2x6 walls) for the insulation. But I was thinking, they have this...
16
16

Stuck collet and bit
I have a Ridgid hand-held router that I've been using with 1/2" bits. More than once, the collet has stuck and held the bit in place AFTER the nut has been loosened and removed. My research shows a...
9
9

Re: Which has the better cordless 18v. drill: Bosch or Hitachi?
I just got a Hitachi cordless screwdriver and it looks like a great tool but haven't been using it long so cant say one way or another about Hitachi, although I think it will be ok. I do know that for...
5
5

band saw tuning frequency
I have the grizzly 14" "Ultimate" bandsaw and I am working on my first cabriole legs. I was making shaped cuts out of 4" white oak and for some reason, the saw just will not seem to stay tuned. I can...
22
22

Selecting Wood Can Beat You Up
OK this is partly a bitch and moan post as much as about an event that is enjoyable. I was down at the local hardwood depot. Don't bet me wrong the people there are friendly enough but not high on...
1
1

Auxillary Shop Heat - Review of the Wally World's Lakewood QTV-22 Quartz Heater - re: Kerosene in Garage
An earlier thread questions the feasibility of using a kerosene heater in a shop. I have use one for years, but the current increase in the price of K1 has caused re-evaluation of this trend. Another...
2
2

MHG Mortise Chisels
Any thoughts on the MHG mortise chisel sets offered by Hartville Tool versus the Hirsch Mortise Chisels from Leevalley 'm also looking at the bench chisel sets. thanks cc
3
3

Plunge Router Mortise Jig
Does anyone use this jig? If so, how does it work for you? http://www.shopnotes.com/files/issues/090/plunge-router-mortising-jig.pdfThanks...
8
8

Bandsaw blade help
I was resawing a fair amount of southern yellow pine on the bandsaw, it's dry, it's been floor joists in a warehouse for the last 100 I was cutting I got a whiff of a burning smell & stopped to check....
7
7

kid's wood projects
Does anyone know where you could buy the simple wood project kits for kids like Lowe's and Home Depot use in there Saturday promotions where the kids come to the store and build them. Recently Home...
4
4

Hitachi C10FL Tablesaw, Any Good?
I was browsing through Lowes last night and saw the Hitachi C10FL tablesaw. I only looked at it briefly, but overall I was quite impressed with it's features, and the $500 price tag didn't hurt...
35
35

Tormek vs Waterstones
I know some respected woodworking professionals who sharpen their planes and chisels with a Tormek machine. I need a really high quality edge for musical instrument building and I have always...
11
11

Tormek vs Delta
I have a 25 year old delta 23-700 wet grinder which I have used for sharpening lathe tools over the years. I notice that there is some fittings that can be purchased for this machine that allow it to...
3
3

Design guideline to make a seat comfortable
I'm going a make a couple park benchs similar to this: their any design guideline for making a seat comfortable? (ie optimum seat and back contour/angle, etc) I can't find much of anything on the web....
12
12

sheet good cutoffs
Storing sheet goods isn't all that bad. A PITA but not too bad. I generally buy enough for a project (2-20 sheets) and lay them flat on the floor on 2x4s. However, I am inevitably left with some nice,...
11
11