Subject Author Posted Replies

wall building (2*4) question
hello, This might be a stupid question, but when creating a 2*4 stud wall, how many nails are suposed to hold the 2*4 to the top or bottom plate? 1 or 2? is this in the code? Second simple question:...
14
14

Stain Over Finished Wood with MiniWax?
I have a piece of furniture that is stained and already sealed in a light color. I plan to use MiniWax stain product to make it darker. Should this work? Even though MiniWax has some built in sealer...
4
4

Finishing Cherry
I have just used cherry for the first time. I plan to put a clear finish on the piece. The piece has some nail holes that I would like to hide. What does anyone recommend I use to hide these holes?...
18
18

Re: Router applications?
consider cutting a simple channel with a chisel, hand saw, razor knife or something like that and clean it up with one of Lee Valley's new side rabbet planes. Veritas Side Rabbet Plane - Lee Valley...

Footlocker - Back From Scout Camp - Pix on ABPW
Well, the footlocker made it back from a week at camp without suffering too much. The Scoutmaster wanted to wrap it up in a blanket when he saw it but I asked him to just put it on the flatbed with...
6
6

The "Zen Thing"
If you do woodworking - because you enjoy it - you've probably experienced the "Zen Thing". You get into doing something this "thing" happens where stuff just happens and you're just part of whatever...
16
16

Re: Experience with LV's Dado Set?
I've got the Frued set. I do get some chipping on plywood with it. When I need another for good cabinetry, I plan to try one designed for melamine, so I'm VERY interested in your decision and results!...
3
3

laguna 18 bandsaw for sale
For sale laguna 18 new 5hp motor, new resaw fence, new laguna ceramic guides, many extra blades los angeles $850 will not ship.
1
1

Router applications?
I have a 1/4" square rod (Delrin). I need to cut a 1/16" to 1/8" wide groove down the center of one side, maybe 1/8" deep. So the end view of the square rod would look like a U. Will any ordinary...
10
10

Re: Hand Saw Sharpening Inquiry
I use two boards to clamp the saw in the vise, with the tops of the boards just a tad higher than the bottom of the teeth. When I file the teeth, it leaves a score mark in the boards. The score marks...
4
4

Re: Help with Band saw
You do not state your projects. Your depth requiremente will determine how close you can come to $300 for a new saw. The replies have assumed a 14in bandsaw would fit your needs. The HF 14in $329.99...

Experience with LV's Dado Set?
Anybody have experience with Lee Valley's dado set linked below? major portion of the dados I expect to cut will be crosscutting in veneered plywood. Should the chip limitation model be sufficient?...

How is a blank like this made?
've never done anything like create a blank like this and maybe never will but I am curious how it is done. For $20 it has to be made in China because it looks labor intensive. But what do they do?...
2
2

Roberts Sealer
Will the sealer "keep" in the plastic bottle? I have some left and wondered if I should dump it. Also, does this work on wood that's gonna be outside? I was going to use it on some wood outside by...
2
2

Help with Band saw
Could some of you more advanced wood workers maybe guide this novice wood worker in purchasing a band saw. Is it possible to pick up something decent for around the 250-300 dollar range as I really...
11
11