Subject Author Posted Replies

Thanks, Morris!
I found myself in Des Moines the other day and Morris was kind enough to tour me thru his shop. This is what my shop wants to be when it grows up. I'm still thinking about that Morris-crafted CNC...
1
1

OT: and entirely random: It Takes A Lot To Laugh...
Was just listening to this and had to put it up. Well, I ride on a mailtrain, baby, Can't buy a thrill. Well, I've been up all night, baby, Leanin' on the window sill. Well, if I die On top of the...
1
1

Electric Planer & Rebate
Layman. Today I put a piece of wood besides the work and both clamped in a workmate. This piece of wood stood proud of the work, and upon it sat the rebate foot of my electric planer. I was surprised...
1
1

Question To The Group - Wood Turners Migrating Here?
The usenet newsgroup apparently is being dropped by many of the large Internet Service Providers (ISPs) and based on the drop off and posts to that group vs posts to this group, it looks like The...
20
20

ON Topic: Wood Movement Article
Though not loaded with a great deal of technical info, this article does give a decent overview of wood movement and some things anyone working with solid would should be aware of. b

FS: Powermatic 1150 drill press, with foot pedal
This drill press has infinitely variable speed, 3/4 HP single phase motor, and a prized foot pedal. I had it for a few years and it never gave me trouble. Since acquiring a Bridgeport mill, I find...

What is it? Set 288
As I mentioned on the site, next week I'll be posting a day early since I'll be out of town on Thursday. http://55tools.blogspot.com/Rob
10
10

Who Actually Makes Craftsman Mitre Saws?
I'm thinking about buying a 12" dual compound mitre saw...non-sliding type. Laser guide is OK but not a must-have. Is there any consensus as to who makes the BEST compound mitre saws.....and which...
13
13

Slight OT: Redwood Fencing?
Please excuse the OT, as fencing isn't exactly woodworking... It is time to replace my redwood privacy fencing as it has fallen over. Around here (Nor Cal), they now use pressure treated (brown tone)...
35
35

Stringer brackets, screws, and other deck Q's
I have been tearing apart the steps to my moms deck and now see how they were constructed. The steps (l,m,r) were assembled as a unit by screwing (3-1/2" deck screws) through the stringers into the...
8
8

OT: Updated meaning of Fathers Day and Mothers Day
Today a friend told me the true meaning of Fathers day and Mothers day. Fathers day is to give thanks to your dad for having sex with your mom. Mothers day is to give thanks to your mom for not...
7
7

Protective finish for bamboo water pipe.
We want to make a water feature in the garden.... a traditional japanese bamboo water spout type thing. The bamboo we have is about 6.5 cm in diameter and has one end bevelled which will be the water...
5
5

Help with Powermatic trunnion
I have an old Powermatic 65 tablesaw. The trunnion has been so sweet, it would raise and lower like a feather. Suddenly now it has slop in the raising mechanism. I first noticed it when the blade...
16
16

Shop shoes for sore feet?
Hi Folks, My workshop/garage has a cement floor. After two hours or so using running shoes my feet start to ache, despite orthotics. (Approaching 70 does not help, I suppose). Any recomendations for...
25
25

Anyone Use Steel Oldham 180 Tooth plywood Blade?
Anyone use this blade for plywood? 10" - 180 teeth. It's just a straight up steel blade with tiny raked teeth, and very thin... kind of like a circular dovetail saw. I used one way back in the day and...
1
1