Subject Author Posted Replies

Refinishing a small section of old tongue & groove oak floor
Old house, original solid oak flooring. Had it sanded and refinished 13 years ago when we bought the house. Most is in decent condition. But, there's a full length mirror on the back of a closet door...
20
20

new toys!
Just took delivery of a General International 50-200R table saur and 17" drill press. New lathe coming in a cupla weeks. I'm all teary-eyed. The first REAL saur I've ever owned! sniff... And to top it...
20
20

akeda dovetail jig
so I finally decide to break down a buy an akeda jig and I'll be darned that there has been a shortage on these things and they aren't available now. I called the jigstore and got some blond who...
16
16

Letters needed
Back in the dark ages (before computers), I bought an inexpensive pantagraph to use with my router. It allows you to trace pictures or letters and numbers with the stylus and have your router copy the...
2
2

What Tool(s) To Use To Crush Ice Cubes Fast
I can put ice cubes into a plastic bag and swing it down to the floor. It works -- one big problem -- the second swing breaks the plastic bag. I put heavy nuts (nut and bolt nuts) into a container and...
28
28

Powder Post Beetles
Yep, I found a hunk of walnut that I stashed with my other lumber and found the tail-tell signs - little pin Damn. I have ordered TimBor insecticide based on a recommendation but, wonder if I set off...
13
13

Happy 100th birthday Bill Monroe
Living right.
19
19

Need a moulder or moulder/planer
I'm really working at making custom molding for my house. Currently I am using a table saw and router in a table to do the job. It works, but I think the effort would be cut by 5-10 times with a...

Dump the Router Table?
My shop/garage is all about space.... never have enough, always seeking ways to free up more. Ever since I installed the router in the table saw extension top, I haven't used it in the router table....
6
6

OT Another nuclear plant explosion
This time in France with 4 reported injured. I wonder how big of a disaster this actually ends up being.
20
20

Basement engineered wood flooring.
As hunting season is upon us, I bought a vertical freezer. (Mostly birds, the odd hunk of venison.) Angela thought the laundry room would be a good place for the thing as it has a small...
6
6

band saw blade keeps flying off
Gentle persons - I bought a floor model Jet 14 inch bandsaw from Lowe's. I downloaded the manual off the website and followed the directions for setting up the saw. When I turn it on, the blade comes...
8
8

Stanley 248
I have recently discovered that planes might be of some use, even for a guy with modest skills like me. I asked a couple of questions here and reaped quite a crop of answers. :) I also mentioned that...
11
11

Solid brass draw catch?
I want something like this: cast brass, not brass plated steel. This is close: lacks the draw function and is just a bit too small (there doesn't seem to be a large). William
8
8

Tip needed for applying shellac
I am using Zinsser Bulls Eye Shellac, which drys fast, really fast. So fast in fact, it is difficult to rub on and get done before starting to dry, making for a not so smooth a finish. Any way to...
21
21