Subject Author Posted Replies

What are reasonable expectations for cabinet craftsmanship?
Hi, We are getting custom made cabinets at about $1200/linear foot. Plywood cabinets with stained oak faces. Mission style with inset doors. 1. The first picture shows the gap between two cabinet...
23
23

Looking for a Lathe Manual
I bought a set of lathe chisels off craigslist and it came with a "free" lathe. The chisels are nice and new, but the lathe is a McGraw Edison T6750 7" wood lathe. It is the newer one that has an...

Students raise money with woodworking
by funding cuts, Casa Roble wood shop classes get creative By Diana Lambert Published: Friday, Oct. 28, 2011 - 12:00 am | Page 1B For sale: Adirondack chairs and ottomans painted to order, custom...
6
6

OT: Luthiers and guitarists, help please
I'm rigging an old (~1970) Yamaha acoustic finger-buster to play slide. The E-E string spacing on both my acoustic guitars is ~1-3/8". But on all the nut extenders I can find in stores or online, the...
5
5

Ontario Carpenter's Union Donates Most to Political Parties
Just read the Saturday morning paper. As the title above states, apparently the Ontario carpenter's union donates the most to Ontario political parties. They've donated various amounts to the big...

Re: O/T: Joke Time For Red States
Uh huh. Got a laugh out of that. Speaking of African Immigrants... If Obama were to walk on water FOX news would report that he doesn't know how to swim.
4
4

What is the proper term for chemicals used to color wood via chemical reaction
ISTR that there is a word for the chemicals used to artificially age or color wood via a chemical reaction. Examples would be sodium hydroxide, iron acetate, potassium dichromate, or nitric acid. This...
12
12

Any finishes to use indoors
As I live in a mobile home, no garage, I need a finish I can apply indoors. The weather is getting to the point that it's not going to be possible to go outside and spray lacquer or anything simliar....
18
18

wood window paint
In my 100 yr old unfinished attic the wood sash or window is in dire need of replacement (quite disappointed over the built to last quality). My attempted repair turned into a replacement(rotten...

Ping: Morris Dovey
Hey, Morris ... If you're still around West Des Moines, please drop me a note at Thanks, Larry
4
4

Interesting auction
couple of years back, I was passing through Des Moines and had a chance to visit one of the wreck regulars who was into solar power and CNC routing. Great shop, nice visit. His web site is down and...
3
3

First set of panel doors
2 simple panel doors, roughly 26" x 21", made of 1/4 Birch Ply and 1x3 Oak. I guess the first question should be, are they too big for one panel? Should I be looking at putting a slat across the...
9
9

OT: Bedbugs and the Tracking Dog
On Thu, 3 Nov 2011 14:08:35 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy That reminds me of my German Shepherd some fifty years ago. He loved to hang his head out the window of the car too. I could ride him like a horse.
25
25

What is it? Set 413
2389) Not enough views to allow a reasonable guess, unless you are someone who has seen one before -- and I am not. :-) 2390) At a guess, it is what the soldiers in a trench just below the targets on...
12
12

Bandsaw blade fishtailing
I was ripping some 1 1/4" thick hardwood (from a pallet--oak and elm, I think) on the bandsaw and noticed the blade doing something odd. Instead of cutting straight like it usually does, the blade...
4
4