Subject Author Posted Replies

close call
Even careful people can get burned. I was back in the shop tonight, just a few minutes ago my hand almost hit the TS blade. I was prepping some wood, and threw the offcut in the bucket, but it missed....
13
13

Sharpening Stones
Hi All, Recent post didn't seem to stick! Anyway, I've been using traditional we t stones, and they work just fine, but a tad messy. And they have to be fl attened now and then. I have a pocket...
8
8

Finishing "Hardwood" floor
Last weekend I sanded out and stained a 100+ year old straight grain Fir fl oor in a room about 12 x 12. I have some water based satin poly to lay down this weekend. Everything I read says use a pad....
9
9

Gluing cedar
I made some test finger joints out of cedar and glued them last night. I ha nd-planed the joint today to see how it looked and it failed! The temps wen t to 45 last night. The glue is relatively new....
27
27

Bandsaw trouble
I have an older Jet JBS 14MW bandsaw. While tightening one of the upper gu ide blocks, the guide block housing cracked. DAGS for a replacement part a nd came up with nothing, so it looks like I need...
16
16

OT Yes the creep keeps rising and you cannot stop it
If you're an OCCAISIONAL user of the appliance, it sometimes makes sense to lease it. If the taxpayer gets involved, it makes sense more often. That's what it's being sold as here. ...just grab one...
71
71

Finish recommendation for use in bathroom
I've made a low step for my wife to stand on in front of the bathroom sink. Any recommendations as to a durable finish? The top is hard maple. Thanks,
11
11

Canadians Ordering From the US and Shipping to Canada
Ran across this online app which lets you ballpark the costs of buying from the US and having the order shipped to Canada. TheFinalCost.com - Canadian total shipping fees calculator (brokerage, duty,...
2
2

A late intro....
Many years ago, I was a subscriber to this NG. Telus dropped NGs and I didn 't change or follow. Here we are, years later, and I find myself viewing th is group (and posting on a subject I feel very...
2
2

super glue for holding small wood in a miter saw
I'm not a skilled woodworker, I'm sure some of you have superduper clamps that will work with any size piece of wood on your miter saw, but... Another temporary use for superglue... I needed to cut a...
4
4

Wet Stone or Diamond??????
Hi All, I have always used wet stones, 3 grits, for plane and chisel. But ya have t o flatten the stones now and then, which I do. And all the water and slurr y is a tad messy. I use some small...
2
2

Arrows on the saw blade
What do the arrows on the saw blade indicate? Obviously I don't know because I put it on backwards. My first time cutting aluminium (working on a deck project and need to trim the spindles) and it...
4
4

Getting rid of old Woodworking Magazines
I should have known better. Multiple subscriptions to woodworking magazines means nearly 4 feet/yr of shelf space. I've cut back, for the past decade, only subscribing to Woodsmith and Shopsmith. But,...
10
10

safely cutting flat angles
Need to cut short pieces of 2x4 (12" length) with ends cut at 60 deg. angle on the flat. These will tuck up under the peak of the attic so the drywall installer can make a small soffit. Portable saw...
18
18

OT: Two good ole' boys just wanting to catch a few fish!!!
There's stupid and then there's these guys... http://dragonlaffs.files.wordpress.com/2013/03/14.gif
3
3