Subject Author Posted Replies

How to Apply the Last Coat of Poly for a Dining Table Top?
I would like to know a good way to apply the last coat of poly on a dining table top. I am almost done with re-finishing the dining table top. I have painted many coats of poly, and sanded it many...
29
29

A tip for maling multiple parts of the same shape
I have a small project that I am working on that requires 28 small shelf support brackets that need to be identical. Making 3 or 4 is typically no problem but having 28 all the same can be tough....
15
15

Help Wanted-Portable Sawmill owner in Idaho
Got a friend with several 14' long, 2' & 3' diameter locust logs that need to be sawn into slabs. These beasts are located in Caldwell, Idaho and we need someone to come out and saw same. We'll pay...
3
3

6 coats of stain!!!!!!!!!
I saw a varathane ad for stain. They say that you must use 6 coats of their competitors' stain, but only 3 of theirs to obtain a proper finish. I use one coat. In fact, the one time I was too light...
15
15

Confused by my new Belt Sander
I make some shelving, cabinetry, picture frames, and so forth using both soft woods and hardwoods. In building these, I do some ripping on my table saw. Up until recently I had been sanding the ripped...
7
7

Small sliding table saws
I was going to buy a small combination machine, but can't find anything that will fit my shop and really be servicable. However I did get attached to the idea of a sliding table saw. All the European...
3
3

Adult Power Tool Series
Surfing the web tonight. Checked out some chair sites, for inspiration. Ran across a link labeled "power tool series". OK, always like to look at tools. Saw a link for a "power saw adapter". I've been...
3
3

Picture Framing
I am framing a bunch of different sized pictures, matted, glasses, and stained glass. The problem is this, I can mill the wood using standard square or other molding to get everthing to the desired...
12
12

Jointer or planer?
Which would you buy first if you could only buy one. Either of these would be in the $400 range not the high end pro models, at least not yet. Thanks!
58
58

Ridgid R2600 stopped working - Need some help
While I have had good sanding experiences with the R2600, Anyone have trouble with using the dust collection port attached to a shop vacuum? I have now had 2 of the R2600's die when I plugged in my...
4
4

What wood for spoon?
I have a large wooden cooking spoon. Nothing happens to it when you toss it in the dishwasher (other then getting clean...), but it is maybe 10 years old and starting to show its age. I made one out...
13
13

1/4" plywood panels on large rail & stile doors
I am making two mission style rail & stile doors (21" x 75") I had planned on using 1/4" oak plywood for the panels (2 in each door) 1/4" (3/16" actual) oak plywood seems kind of flimsy. Would I be...
22
22

making "complex" mouldings
I am making the baseboard mouldings for my new home and am getting "rough" results from my router. I hope somebody out there can tell me what is wrong with my technique. The current rooms I am working...
5
5

Delta mortising attachment or...
I'll soon be working on building new kitchen cabinets. It will involve 24 or so frame and raised panel doors. That's about 100 mortise and tenon joints. Does anyone have anything good to say about the...
7
7

A *good* manual hand drill?
For Christmas DH wants a good manual hand drill. Eggbeater style, with a side handle to hold if you want to lean on the butt handle. He has one now that is junk: the gears don't mesh smoothly and the...
10
10