Subject Author Posted Replies

Anyone recommend a good book on basic wood turning, or a link to a web site?
Hi Guys, Well I guess the subject line says it all. I got my cheapie wood lather set up, and went to town on a piece of mallee burl, nothing too complex, just a handle for a large pallet knife. I...
17
17

Grizzly G0555 Bandsaw. Mobile Base, or build own cart?
I'm about ready to order the Grizzly G0555 bandsaw, but I'll need it to be mobile in my shop. The obvious solution is to purchase the Shop Fox mobile base for $70, but I'm curious if the G0555 could...
3
3

Steel City Drill Press
Well, I decided to take the plunge and upgrade the ol' Craftsman bench drill press with a real one. I've seen, and liked, the Steel City unit and am planning on buying it as soon as the local store...
18
18

Delta 34-670 table saw...
Wondrin' if anyone has any knowledge of this saw. Can't find much info on the Delta site. A guy has one for sale near me for $135. Sounds reasonable. I found a manual online and all I can figure out...
5
5

Floating a 3/4" Solid Hardwood Floor Over Above Grade Concrete?
I am interested in floating a solid hardwood plank floor (3/4" x 3"). Has anyone successfully done this? I am leary of glue down application onto the above grade cement slab. Here in Hawaii we have...
23
23

Western red cedar for this chair ok?
I have a folding chair very similar to this one: I picked up at a yard sale several years ago. It is a homemade chair, and very well built out of red oak. Instead of the hammock "seat" shown in the...
12
12

Woodmaster 718 gang saws
Does anyone have experience with the Woodmaster #718 using the gang saws. Specifically, will the ripped edges be straight enough and smooth enough for glue-ups without any further jointing or sanding?
2
2

INSPIRATION - Swine Wine Bottle Holder
This is the type of thing you give to someone you don't really care for - then ask to see your gift every time you visit. JOAT Where does Batman buy gas for the Batmobile?

Has anyone tried the new Porter Cable 371K portable belt sander? Likes/dislikes?
Hi, I'm considering buying a belt sander for occassional use. I have a great planer and jointer but have a need now and again to remove more stock than what a dremel can handle, less than what a full...
1
1

Router bit comparisons
You will rarely, if ever, see an article or expose' that reflects the auto industry in a negative way on either TV or in local paper. An exception was the staged exploding GM on NBC news. Theory is...
27
27

Blades
For table saws Forrest seems to always be on top. How about 14" band saw blades. Which manufacturer is best(1/4" to 1/2") regardless of price?
9
9

RE: O/T, Largest Cash Crop
It has been announced that marijuana is America's largest cash crop, about $35 billion yearly. Roughly 1/3 of that comes from here in California. Somehow, I'm missing something. Think I have a lot of...
72
72

OT humor have your imagination running
While sitting in my thinking room (you know the one with the white porcelain chair that all the water in it goes through the floor and dissapears?) I remembered an old cartoon (maybe from playboy)...
10
10

Mission Style Wood Finish
I'm trying to come up with a mission style finish that meets the following parameters: 1. Satin or "close to the wood" finish 2. Table top protection (no shellac due to alcohol spills and no analine...
4
4

Refinishing_experience
I refinished a maple end table we bought from Ethan Allen a few years ago. I just did the top because that's were it needed it most. I stripped off all the layers of lacquer and used a dye to match...
5
5