Subject Author Posted Replies

Rikon 18" band saw?
I'm looking at the Rikon 18" 2hp band saw, model10-345. It's onsale at Woodcraft for $999. ( ) Do any of you have one? Know someone who has one? Just waanted some info about performance, reliability,...
4
4

Stickley_Bed_Progress
I managed to get a few hours in the WoodShop today! I bought myself a small propane heater to keep the digits warm! I have a couple in-progress pictures at my webpage of a Harvey Ellis Stickley Bed I...
6
6

Screw lubricant
I have often used barsoap as a screw lube but found it a pain to keep the surface sufficiently wet to be easy to use. Whe the soap is too dry it doesn't adhere to the screw, falling off before it is...
57
57

Handyman Club of America Members, BEWARE OF Vonage!!!
I have recently discovered there is a plot afoot to undermine the efforts of the Handyman Club of America to provide the most tacky gift as temptation to convince you to send them money. I would even...
4
4

That wacky Nahm
Okay so I was watching NYW and our buddy Nahm was making a small table with a round top. I stepped out of the room for a minute, and when I come back Nahm had the table top, maybe somewhere in the 20"...
14
14

needs loudspeaker panels made in chicago
this might be a strange request, but i am looking for someone who can cut panels for me for a loudspeaker construction project. i have all of the plans for the cabinets, but have no woodworking...
2
2

Belt Sander Story
I have an elderly 3" by 21" Rockwell #337 belt sander which I bought new a long time ago. It has served faithfully for probably 40 years (albeit not in daily nor abusive service). I use it mostly for...
5
5

Hinges for folding lectern
I want to make a very portable, small lectern for an instructor. I'm looking for hinges that will - Prevent the legs from rotating more than 90 degrees - Leave 1/2" clearance when the legs are folded...
1
1

URGENT - How to adjust planer infeed rollers?
I have a powermatic PM15 5HP (Planer / Molder) and I'm trying to set the height of the infeed and outfeed rollers in relation to the cutting blades. I've been having so much trouble that I finalled...
9
9

Handrail Joint
Hi all, I'm building some handrails for a staircase and need to join two pieces of 3" wide x 2" thick walnut. One length is 90" the other 24". My initial thought is to use a half lap joint, length of...
11
11

Dust Collector Specifications
Some time ago I bought a TWC (The Woodworkers Choice) model 1352 dus collector with a 1 micron upper filter. It has worked great but no I'm enlarging my shop significantly and I think I may need to...
2
2

Removing smoke (fire) smell
Warehouse burned... Antique table has a touch of heat damage, but not serious. The piece still has a horrible smoke smell. How does one remove fire-smoke smell? Refinishing top and legs may eliminate/...
8
8

shellac -again on removal of
My question is on removing shellac. I am restoring my first piece - a handmade piano stool from the early 1800's(AUS). No glues and completely demountable. I ask if anyone knows the process for...
4
4

overload protector tripping
I recently purchased a used jet contractor saw and I'm having trouble with the overload protector. It first started tripping a couple months ago when I was ripping some 5/4 hard maple. I figured that...
6
6

Wood identification question.
I was making some new jigs for the TS today and grabbed a narrow, knarly board out of the stash . I got this board with a bunch of Jatoba I got last spring and it was the little guy amongst a bunch of...
2
2