Subject Author Posted Replies

Replacing fluorescent fixtures
OK, I am no longer gonna buy those 7 or 8 dollar fixtures from the big box stores. I have some fixtures I bought 25 years ago and they are still fine. These cheepos work for the life of the bulb and...
7
7

bandsaw questions-newbie with an oldie
Posted awhile back and got several good suggestions, thanks to all. I picked up an 18" Parks bandsaw, sold by sears and roebuck. It needs some work. I was thinking about a new motor. I found a 2hp...
5
5

Need bathroom vanity plan suggestion
Hi all, We have just re-tiled our bathroom and am in need to replace the vanity (the old one is now in the landfill). We have been shopping around but cannot quite find what we like, so I am...
5
5

opening day
This it is that transcends all dorking and all thinking and all being: it is opening day: Well, beat the drum and hold the phone - the sun came out today! We?re born again, there?s new grass on the...
22
22

Craigs List -- commercial shop full of tools
Not my stuff but thought someone here might be interested... might not. John " widebelt sander - $1600 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Reply to: see...

Finish to protect kitchen table
First off let me say I'm a huge fan of Danish and Tung oil. Just about every indoor project I've built has been finished with either one or the other. Now I'm about to begin a cherry kitchen table. I...
12
12

A Good Deal at H.D.
Depot has a pretty good deal going right now (for a change). Received several gift cards for Bd/Christmas and was holding off till I could find a 10% off coupon. Wanted the big Table saw, badly. HD...
2
2

news reader for Mac
I would like to know what news readers work with Macintosh? thanks pat
9
9

Remote on 2HP Harbor Freight Dust Collector?
Would the 110V Shop Fox or the PSI Long Ranger remote work with the Harbor Freight 100VAC Dust Collector? Each remote states 1.5hp and the Long Ranger states 20amp peak. Any experience using one of...
6
6

Oil AFTER varnish?!
I saw a TV show today about making violins. They put on 4 coats of varnish and then several coats of oil. Seems to me that it would just make a mess. What is that all about?
4
4

Depth of a rabbit or dado
Is there any rule of thumb about how deep to cut a rabbit or dado? I have typically cut them to half the thickness of the stock, but I'm wondering if this may be overkill. Does the strength of the...
14
14

Laurel? (Myrtle?)
The local lumberyard is closing out its laurel at half price; about $4/bf. It is pretty wood that looks kinda like butternut, but heavier and harder. I can't find much on it, but maybe it is myrtle;...
3
3

Newbie looking for guidance
Hi all... I'm looking for some advice on tools and some simple beginner projects. I just moved out of an apartment and into a house, so I now have room to start building a modest workshop. I have your...
13
13

rec.woodworking anti-faq
Here is one I like: 1.5 WHAT SHOULD I DO WHEN I SEE A POST I DON'T LIKE? First, and most importantly, you should take offence. Obviously the author is an insensitive bastard who is hell-bent on...
10
10

REVIEW - Magswitch Magentic Featherboards - www.onlinetoolreviews.com
Hi all, Just posted a review of the Magswitch Magnetic Featherboards online. You can read the full version at: it helps! When it comes to making cuts on a table saw, router table, shaper, bandsaw or...