Subject Author Posted Replies

Lead Paint
DonkeyHody wrote in news: *snip: Many things wrong with the world.* In situations like those cited above, I'm SO very happy that God gave me an immune system, the wisdom to avoid really bad...
19
19

Re: ### micro-FAQ on wood # 84
As I understand it, the reason tropical woods (rubberwood in particular) are preferred for cutting boards is precisely *because* they're lethal to lots of organisms - pathogenic bacteria specifically....

removing rust from jointer
WD-40 and scotch-brite pads work well. Just let the WD-40 sit for a while then scrub away. I have heard of others putting the scotch- brite under a sander but never tried it.
11
11

woodcraft coupon code
FYI, $15 off $50 or more. http://www.woodcraft.com/corpnewsletter.aspx?refcode=75IN08NL
1
1

Set the shop up first...
Just a suggestion for anyone here who's thinking about moving. When you get to your new place, set up the shop area first. You don't have to unpack your fancy table saw, but do definately unpack most...
12
12

Wood finishing..a bit long.
Been lurking here quite a while... The situation is this, I have a south facing sunroom/extension on the back of my house built by the previous owner, I've hired a contractor to replace the windows,...
6
6

Attaching side panel (Base) to cabinet
I was wondering what the regular method of attaching this piece to the cabinet is? Should it be screwed and then fill in the screw holes, nailed, or adhered? Thanks! Kory
4
4

problem with cutting board
The principle of lysing the bacterium to kill it is what we're after. If it finds shelter under a coat of oil ("lipid-friendly") rather than in water with a surfactant, the job isn't done at all....
14
14

Need competent circular saw with safety switch (think tool obsessed toddler)
I am currently using a black and decker circular saw for cutting probably far more than I should with it. Two glaring problems with it. 1. No safety interlock. Just great. I almost crapped my shorts a...
16
16

Does people like using film faced plywood for Cabinet Making ?
My US friend told me that he used film faced plywood for Cabinet Making . Do a lot of US/EU/Canadian people like using film faced plywood for Cabinet Making ? I want to know more about this because I...
20
20

Shaper Pattern Question
I'm rereading my copy of Classic American Runabouts:Wood Boats 1915-1965. Drive-by warm fuzzy, got it in a used book store for $6. On pages 34 and 35, they've got a piece titled: Building The...

Ridgid 3650 T/S
Got a question for anyone with this saw! I know that Mac has one and has cured this situation, just not sure how! I need a zero clearance insert and from several catalogs the one for a Sears machine...
15
15

How to lighten wood
We have oak kitchen cabinets that are stained to a medium dark color. I would like to keep those but change the color to a bright birch-like tone. What I have tried is applying a refinishing solution...
7
7

MDF, Wipe On Poly, and a Deteriorating Finish
A few weekends ago I built a prototype of a low-slung entertainment center out of MDF. SWMBO wanted a visual of the size and shape before I commited time and funds to the actual item. Sort of like...
17
17

Bamboo and water?!
I am trying to strip a black coating off of bamboo. (made in the Philappeans 60 years ago). I have tried alcohol, acetone, and lacquer thinner. None touch it. Next thing to try is Paint and Varnish...
2
2