Subject Author Posted Replies

B&Q Price promise Boll**ks
Went in today to get a small spot light plus a few other bits, was shocked to get bill for £77. WTF? Checked receipt which was correct but I couldn't believe the price of some of the items I picked...
29
29

Drain/sewer query
Hi all, we have a 2nd loo, which (I presume) has a 3m server pip running into an inspection chamber, and thence down the road. I was wanting to put a drain for an outside tap on the wall by the loo,...
2
2

Burglar Alarm - Repair or Replace ?
I recently moved in to a house which has an existing burglar alarm. The alarm control unit is a white box with 'CPD2' and 'conforms to BS4737' printed on it. It is key operated with 3 positions - Set,...
13
13

Halogen bulb failed within a week
we bought a new lamp last weekend, consists of a big 300W uplighter and a flexible 60W(?) downlighter/reading lamp, both have halogen tube-like bulbs. Yesterday the small one failed (I can see the...
2
2

Electrical question - vac with power take-off
I have a workshop vac with power take-off (ie. plug tool into socket on vac, vac operates when tool trigger pulled). I plugged a 200W sander into it, it fired up for a second and then the vac shut...
8
8

Bus Shelter
I've had a letter from the council planning department that Adshel have applied for planning permission to install a bus shelter, with iluminated adverting, directly adjacent to the front of my flat....
5
5

2-gang dimmer bodge?
I've been trying to replace a 2-gang dimmer inherited in our living room with a new switch. The exisiting wiring is shown below (hopefully), with what appears to be a bodge by connecting the live from...
12
12

Radiator stripping - impressive result.
Pink emulsion, over white, over original radiator finish. Chipped and splashed with all sorts of muck over the years. Buy a new one? No - just dismount the rad., lie it across trestles, cover it with...
2
2

Electrical apprenticeship?
Hi, I'm trying to help young lad to find an electrical apprenticeship. Several weeks ago, someone made a suggestion about an organisation which helps youngsters find such apprenticeships, although...
6
6

Worcester 28i cutting out
My brother writes: "My girlfriend's boiler (Worcestor Bosch 28i RFS Combi) keeps stopping after an hour and a half." and then asks if I know what's going on - clearly I don't! What further information...
1
1

Central Heating Pumps Query/Fault ! ?
We have had C Heating for about 5 yrs now in our house, with a MEGAFLO tank and a GRUNDFOS pump, when the heating etc shuts down for the night, the water pump continues to run, we have only just...
5
5

Central heating question - leaks...
Hi All, Time to access your collected wisdom again, if that's OK... Our pressurised central heating system appears to have a leak. The boiler is a Vokera Mynute 20se. Every couple to three weeks it...
2
2

Venting through wall for Chimney Hood - 2nd floor
I am installing a Chimney hood in our kitchen in our flat. It will be positioned on an external wall, which is double brick (I believe) with external pebble dashing. I'm happy with the concept of...
4
4

Cant see my own messages
I am not able to see my own messages in newsgroups, have to go to google to search them, am on aol newsgroup server, I also sure that i'm only getting half of whats posted, seem to be missing some...
8
8

Shower pump problem & CH & HW Probs
Hi All, have some problems with the plumbing in the house, before you ask I have read the FAQ's but can't fathom it out, anyone any ideas on these problems 1- Shower pump is not working properley,...
5
5