Subject Author Posted Replies

What I did on my holidays.
Yes, really. I'm on holiday this week, supposedly fitting a new master bathroom. We have what is euphemistically known as "private drainage" here. The system is nearly 30 years old, so it's not...
31
31

Circular saw not cutting at 90deg
Hi I have bought a B&D circular saw ( and using it today I've found it is not cutting at 90degrees. In fact (if my maths is correct) it is more like 88-89 degrees or about 1mm out when cutting 30mm of...
4
4

Please help: DIY roofing!
Hi, I'm basically turning a single storey flat roof, that runs along the side of my house, into a pitched roof, but also extending to cover an area once occupied by an oil tank. Roof will be clay...

Wet room drainage...
Hi, I am installing a wet room on a wooden floor and have hit a snag with the drainage for the shower. I will do my best to describe the floor I am putting in... Let's call the wall that run along...
1
1

Front door leak
Have a leakage problem with my front door. Probably pretty conventional, but I've put a sketch of the bottom of the door at Inside on the left, outside on the right. When it rains I find water...

Extending Basement Under House
I live in a house with a basement kitchen that extends under only part of the house. This includes the rear addition and an area in the main house under the staircase (to provide a stairwell for the...
4
4

Should I replace the boiler
The kitchen is due for a refit, which I will do quite a lot of myself, but we're trying to decide whether to replace the boiler which sits in the corner. It's an old Potterton and has been there since...
8
8

choccy blocks?
Hi Wires in a wall socket are too short, so I need to extend them a few inches using a choccy block and more wire. Its a double socket. But I've heard people criticise the use of choc blocks: is this...
17
17

plumbing new kitchen
I am moving my kitchen i am teeing the water supply from the bath supply, the bath hot pipe is 22mm is it acceptable to use 15mm pipe from the tee to the kitchen? the pipe run is approx 10 meters with...
3
3

Removing Warmcel insulation
This is a very dusty process. What kind of mask do people recommend? The Warmcel web site has a picture of a man blowing in the horrid muck in the first place and he isn't wearing any mask! I am...

Mahoohoo (sp?) polished timber floor
Hi all My mum's having a refurb done during which she's having her polished wooden floor ripped out. The joiner apparently said that the wood was something like 'mahoohoo' which he said was very...
4
4

Rings, chains spurs - electrical :-)
Hi, just pondering on rings and spurs (for 13A). Now to my simple mind a ring supports more load (or whatever the correct term is) because the electrons can go either way round the ring and don't bump...
14
14

Olives - Copper or Brass
Hi all Olive material - copper or brass: Which is best and why? Is one more suitable in a given location/application than another? Thanks Phil
2
2

Which PAT tester ?
Just wondered if there are any readers here with opinions / recommendations for the best / fastest current PAT testers, with barcode wand, PC interface, printer output etc. for testing medium / large...
3
3

Laminate Flooring
Hi All, I'm a little confused by the Floormaster 1600 laminates available from B&Q my understanding was they are LOC systems and require no glue, however I have just checked the Floormaster website...
5
5