Subject Author Posted Replies

last night's Grand Designs
Another GD classic, IMO ... one aspect of the (re)build does intrigue me, though: is the legal system in Scotland so different that issues like planning permission and building regs don't apply? ISTM...
26
26

B&Q's showerforce 8.0 serious problem
Hi... We've had a redundant showerforce and I've finally decided to call them tomorrow - it's out of gaurantee but they'll be getting an earful anyway.... It worked for a period of time perfectly,...
1
1

FAQ: Want to ask a DIY question? Here's how.
Welcome to UK.D-I-Y, the newsgroup for new and experienced Do-It-Yourself enthusiasts in the United Kingdom. If you want help, or just want to find out more about a problem before calling in 'the...

Damp or condensation - and how to treat
I am working on a wall which may have rising damp, it appears to be so as it has been treated twice before bthe treatment failed twice within 2-3 years. nowhere else is damp in the house. The wall is...
2
2

Benefits of being a DIY landlord
Evenin' folks, Just thought I'd share this litttle story from last week, which was most definitely the only time I was glad it wasn't summer. Got a call from some tenants that water and *bits of...
3
3

Plaster - Multi finish vs boardd finish
Ignoring much of the "leave it to the experts" advice here and elsewhere, I had a go at skimming some plasterboard. I've got three rooms and a landing to do, all loft conversion type stuff with lots...
1
1

Folding door mechanism
Does anyone know where to get hold of a folding door mechanism? Not sure I've seen one on my travels around the DIY sheds, but then I haven't been looking specifically for one of these before now. I...
4
4

Scottish conservatories
Have just had a quote for a conservatory from a scottish company (Aberdeen) CR Smith. Just wondered if anyone had any experience with these guys. Thinking of signing on the dotted line in a couple of...
1
1

Floor tile question
What's the expert (aka "easy") way of removing floor tiles which have been stuck down with glue? The last time I did this particular job (some years ago) I ended up having to use a paint stripper heat...
11
11

lets get Plasterd
Whats the difference between hand mix and drill attachment mixing.? Thanks. G
10
10

Router Bit Sets
I sure many of you good DIYers and router fiddlers have bought various of the router bits sets on the market. While of the opinion that cheap versions of supposedly precision cutting tools just don't...
7
7

Danfoss FP715 Timer / Combi Boiler
Just got a new combi boiler with its own time clock which is inadequate for my needs. My old boiler had a danfoss FP715 timer connected for 5 / 2 day control of water and heating separately. Obviously...

What I did on my holidays.
Yes, really. I'm on holiday this week, supposedly fitting a new master bathroom. We have what is euphemistically known as "private drainage" here. The system is nearly 30 years old, so it's not...
31
31

Circular saw not cutting at 90deg
Hi I have bought a B&D circular saw ( and using it today I've found it is not cutting at 90degrees. In fact (if my maths is correct) it is more like 88-89 degrees or about 1mm out when cutting 30mm of...
4
4

Please help: DIY roofing!
Hi, I'm basically turning a single storey flat roof, that runs along the side of my house, into a pitched roof, but also extending to cover an area once occupied by an oil tank. Roof will be clay...