Your posts put on the wiki

I've avoided putting other people's ng posts on the wiki, but am aware there are many good clear posts that would be a great first draft for articles. How do people feel about it?

Or to put it another way, if some of you dont mind some of your best posts being put up there, just say.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Well...

If the posts are already archived on Google Groups, that means (a) they are out there in the public domain and (b), the OP didn't set the X-archive=no (or whatever?) flag on their post to prevent it being archived for posterity - therefore nobody should object to it?

However...

if you bung someone's old newsgroup post up on the wiki, you'd naturally leave the author's name there, wouldn't you? So what happens when some other user comes along and edits the Wiki version to something different, leaving the original author's name in place... then the original, completely unwitting author finds his hacked-about contribution on the Wiki sometime later and throws a wobbler. That would be the problem of an 'opt-out' option as you're suggesting.

AFAIAA the whole issue of how to prevent Wiki-edit wars (and in particular, stopping the FAQ from being mauled about) is still up in the air (or did I miss something?) - if so, perhaps that needs resolving befor you start recycling old posts! Maybe the best way is just to post links to good threads on Google?

David

Reply to
Lobster

I hereby copyleft anything I have posted to uk.d-i-y over the years. Please remove my name and let anyone edit as much as they like.

Al

PS I'm not actually convinced I have written much worth submitting.

Reply to
Al Reynolds

Maybe you should just create the blank article with the google groups link to the article under references.

Reply to
Richard Conway

If this wiki is set up so that access is via account only, and there is an audit trail of edits, then I have no problem with that. The only difficulty I would have is if anyone could hack stuff about, but leave the attribution in place.

(I am happy to stand by what I have written (and acknowledge where it is wrong) but would rather there were some limitations over how it could be "corrected")

Reply to
John Rumm

But that is defeated by the X-no-archive:yes header setting. In such cases, Google groups remove the posting after 7? days. The reason for using this, in my case, it to help prevent address harvesting from Google groups, not to remove the post. If the original thread had someone replying, then they may have copied the original posting without any copyright concerns already and that may have been archived, depending on the responders archive setting.

Because of this, I would have no problem with a cut-and-paste transfer of just the posting but including NO contact details to somewhere that would allow such future linking. This would prevent direct editing of a posting attributed to a named person, which, I believe, is a good idea. Amemndments could be added to the Wiki, but the original quote could not be altered, only removed completely. This would avoid the "I never said that" problems.

Reply to
JohnDW