Would You Tip a Plumber

On LBC radio I caught the tail end of a discussion about tipping tradesmen. The presenter, Daisy what ever her name is, actually advocated tipping a plumber for doing a good job. Perhaps the idea could be extended to other groups who don't need or deserve a tip. Any ideas, I thought perhaps solicitors or estate agents.

Kevin

Reply to
kajr

On 02 Mar 2005, wrote

One's ex-partner when they pick up the kids on time?

Reply to
Harvey Van Sickle

don't know about plumbers (they charge enough to start with), but I tipped a roofer once for doing more than he quoted for and coming on a Sunday.

LJ

Reply to
in2minds

Seconded!

Moving is a stressful time! We used a local Hull company Hardakers and the guys they sent lightened the day with one-liners (probably used the same one-liners for 30 years). But it lightened the day for all concerned and resulted in decent tips for their efforts!

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

A good tip - never eat yellow snow

Reply to
No Spam

I don't see the point in tipping anyone who's self-employed or working on a commission basis, as they are already being rewarded for the effort that they put into their work. Regular employees of larger companies who make an extra effort are good candidates for tipping.

Reply to
Rob Morley

In message , snipped-for-privacy@mwfree.net writes

Splutter . . . my monitor is now covered with tea.

Reply to
bof

In message , Sam Nelson writes

Yep same as my experience with Pickfords, with the same outcome for the blokes . . . and a tip for others, Pickfords are amenable to haggling, we got them down to 40% of their original quote, which was only a little more than the quotes from Taykitt & Scarper type operations.

Reply to
bof

The most my other half ( who is an employee, not self employed) a couple of cans of the chosen beverege of the household at Christmas and in most places a cup of tea. He has been pumbing for 35 years working for the same company.

He does not expect anything from the householders or tenants he goes to. He does not want anything. The odd can of Christmas beer is an appreciated bonus but far from necessary to him ( we are mostly tea total in this house) . He always askes me if I gave the worker a cup of tea though if we have get anyone in for anything.

So the offer of a cuppa is probably a most appreciated gensture!

Hope that helps.

Reply to
mich

Ooh, look, a victimless crime.

Um, er. Did you report the theft?

Reply to
Sam Nelson

If any pedant steps in to say "Oh but it puts up all our insurance premiums" I'll give them a (virtual) smack in the teeth:

1: when a passing delivery truck broke the wing mirror off my van I went out and bought a new one and fitted it the next day, then spent ages trying (in vain) to get the other party's insurers to give me a modest amount for the time I'd spent sorting it out rather than spending ages getting 2 quotes and getting it fixed by someone else which would probably have cost them a lot more but which they'd have paid (accroding to their rules) 2: we had our car stolen last week and our insurers won't pay for the theft because the doors weren't locked, because on previous breakins (in public car parks rather than outside our house where it was parked this time) thieves had wrecked both side door locks. No matter that the thieves had evidently forced the steering column lock and bypassed the ignition switch and were evidently capable of forcing the door locks to get into the vehicle if necessary: by the letter of their rules they consider themselves not liable.

Insurance companies will be first up against the wall when the revolution comes!

My word against theirs, no evidence: would Plod be interested?

Reply to
John Stumbles

Comrade, wait until I have despatched the "No-win, No-fee" touts and social parasites first.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Sorry, but it will be wasps first! (Sorry Mary) THEN insurers, lawyers and politicians...

Reply to
Andrew Chesters