Workshop renovation

I've just moved in to a new workshop and I clearly have a spot of 'renovation' to do. The building ( aka shed ) is 40' x40', of wooden construction on a concrete floor, corrugated aluminium sloping roof. The south wall is fitted with lapped planks - half of the wall is lined externally with 1/2" ply, the rest is just lapped planks - there's a 7'x4' window in it. The west wall is just 3/4" compressed chipboard, but the roof extends over it to form an open shed. The east wall is 1/2"ply, lined internally with thin fibreboard - and the north wall is compressed chipboard again, with the roof extending over it.

My main priority is keeping moisture out - condensation is a big problem at the moment, especially with the roof.

I intend to remove the lapped planks on the south wall and make good with 1/2" exterior ply before replacing the planks, and lining the interior with 1/2"ply. Building on the existing frame will leave a 3" air gap between the boards. The east wall, also framed, will get the same treatment internally. The west wall I hoped I could get away with simply cladding over with

1/2"ply - and the north wall will have to be lined externally as there's no access to in internally.

As regards the roof, I've sealed up the holes where the rainwater was getting in, but it obviously needs boxing in and insulating.

Any comments, suggestions?

Regards,

Reply to
Stephen Howard

It may be a totally stupid suggestion but what about getting those people that spray foam onto roofs from the inside of the loft to seal and insulate the tiles/slates?

It seems similar to the orange foam that comes from sheds in large spray cans. It seals and insulates and is a quick process for large flattish areas.

Reply to
EricP

Spot on.

You're a bad man. A BAD man!

Reply to
Grunff

Easier to glue polystyrene sheets I would think

Reply to
Stuart Noble

extends

extending

Build a proper block workshop inside it incorporating all the insulation that you need.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

/me slinks orf to find a stone to get under!

Reply to
EricP

In message , Andrew Mawson writes

Single skin metal roofing and a frosty night is a recipe for internal rain:-)

I have not tried this myself but I have been told that trapping a layer of air under the sheeting with fine mesh plastic netting helps. Others may know different. Fire risk might be an issue.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

The message from Tim Lamb contains these words:

Likewise with corrugated plastic.

Reply to
Guy King