Worcester (Bosch) Greenstar HE Combi Boiler question

Does anyone know if the Worcester (Bosch) Greenstar HE Combi Boiler was made obsolete by a new regulation which came into force on April 1st?

The Council have installed these on my estate and there is a rumour going around that this is the case and because of the regulation Camden managed to get them on the cheap. This would not be unusual for Camden, believe me! Our last lot of lifts were obsolete when they went in and have given us 30 years of hell! They've learned though. The new ones are state-of-the-art.

The boilers seem OK, except that they take ages to fill the bath up - but if we should have got better ones, we should have had better ones.

The contractor Camden are using is Makers. Very imaginative name. Does anyone know anything about them? The general consensus here is that they're a bunch poorly-skilled cowboys run by con-men!

Nemo.

Reply to
nemo

The Greenstar HE models are condensing so comply

Reply to
Tony Bryer

So that was the regulation referred to.

We've had so much utter crap from the Council, the consulting architect and the contractor about almost every aspect of the work that no-one trusts any of them. That's why rumours like this get started. I'll try to put everyone's mind at rest.

Many thanks,

Nemo

Reply to
nemo

Condensing boilers produce a stream of vapour from the exhaust when in condensing mode - as they probably will be some time after first firing. So should be obviously different from the ones they replaced.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It is state of the art condensing. Current model.

You haven't stated the model number, and it appears it is a combi. Combi's are rated on the hot water flowrate. There is a high flowrate model of Greenstar, you obviously didn't get that one. They should have given you all the 40kW model.

Nevertheless, it will be cheap to run.

Reply to
Doctor Evil

Yup. So slow to fill a bath you'll just go dirty.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It not only complies, but is a particularly well regarded and reliable model and should be near the top of anyone's shortlist when choosing a boiler.

That's because it is a combi. Nothing to do with being condensing or otherwise. Nothing to do with the make or quality. Instantaneous combis heat up the water as you use it and can only heat so much at a time. They have the advantage of doing so at mains pressure, giving excellent shower performance, even though the bath filling can be a little disappointing. To have good bath filling performance as well, you need either a commercial size combi, or some sort of storage based solution, which can be a "one (larger) box" solution, or a two part cylinder and boiler solution.

Builders/renovators of estates are likely to go the instantaneous combi route, as it costs much less to install. There is also less to maintain.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

There are domestic high flow combi's.

Which is called a combi.

In a flat you don't want that.

Any one bopx solution is cheap, and quicker, to install.

Reply to
Doctor Evil

Depends what you mean by high flow. It means nothing unless supported by figures that give a real world comarision.

Not everyone lives in a flat - even those on council estates.

All that seems to matter to you. Most would be more concerned about performance at the end of the day.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Not low flow.

This man lives in a flat.

How about sink estates?

That is why he needs a high flow combi.

Reply to
Doctor Evil

Whilst this may be so you're making things up again as he hasn't stated it.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The evil one is in my kf but I just had to reply to this one "They should have given you all the 40kW model"

Now how oh evil one do you know that this is suitable for the premises concerned?

Reply to
Jim

His 'one answer fits all' is typical of the breed.

And as regards a low output boiler being cheaper to run than a higher output one when filling the bath? Wonder where that gem came from?

I'd *guess* at exactly the reverse.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It's true - with a low power combi you only bath at weekends: no time to do so during the week

Reply to
Tony Bryer

It has a higher flowrate and he desires a higher flow. It is obvious you couldn't figure this out, so please leave me in your killfile as you don't deserve to read wisdom.

Reply to
Doctor Evil

Now put those do not use stickers back on your gas appliances and call in a proper gorgi fitter. This DIY at its worse I tell you.

Reply to
Doctor Evil

Why aye man.

Reply to
Nick Atty

One of the problems for plumbers working for corporate Landlords is that inevitably there is a team of them. So that when there is a problem if the plumber does not fix it all in one go then the next time there is a call someone else gets the job and starts all over again.

This makes the service company look even more incompetant than they actually are.

It is not is the medium or longer term interest of any Landlord to fit a boiler that is average or below in terms of long life.

The unit they have chosen is IMHO probably towards the better end of the spectrum in both quality and efficiency - it is a condensing unit and therefore has not been made obselete by the new energy efficiency standards.

Combination boilers do not generally fill baths quickly, however they have advantages and disadvantages seem main FAQ.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Your house a time bomb the authorities should cut off your supply.

Now call one in now, or get Transco to cut you off.

Reply to
Doctor Evil

Care to try that again in English?

I did get a *properly* qualified person in - since I had a job to go to which couldn't wait. And both the appliances the CORGI type had attached warning labels to were just fine.

He was a chancer and a wanker. One of your relations?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)