wiring up sockets to a pair of T&E cables...

On 05/03/2013 17:31, Stephen H wrote:

No electrician here - but I thought it was expressly each conductor sleeved separately. Having seen a lot of places where two (or more) have been squeezed into onto sleeve, I'd never want to do that.
--
Rod

On 05/03/2013 17:31, Stephen H wrote:

Its better to sleeve each separately - makes testing and maintenance at a later date simpler. If you get the 2mm sleeve rather than the more common 3mm it also looks neater and is easier to handle

other than requiring sleeving [543.03], I am not aware of an explicit statement giving more detail in BS7671 itself.
--
Cheers,

John.

514.3, and 514.3.2. Identification of conductors. You cannot identify which cable goes where at its termination if they are twisted together.

On 06/03/2013 19:46, A.Lee wrote:

Although if sleeved with green/yellow then they are adequately identified as a CPC even if a shared sleeve is used... so not convinced that requirement precludes a shared sleeve.
(note, I am not defending the practice - as already stated, individual sleeving is better)
--
Cheers,

John.
John Rumm wrote:

What is with this renaming the earth cable I have been perfectly happy with it being an earth for 60 odd years.
On 07/03/2013 01:17, F Murtz wrote:

earth would have a a double meaning in that case. the other being the soil you hammer a conductive rod into that you attach the CPC to if you have a TT install.
Also earth/soil is not a very good conductor as pure copper which is what most CPC is made of.....
On 07/03/2013 01:17, F Murtz wrote:

Its not actually been renamed (in recent times), its an alternative technical name with a slightly more nuanced meaning... so when discussing specific requirements of BS7671 its sometimes easier to use their language rather than the common terms.
--
Cheers,

John.
John Rumm wrote:

Maybe I should sit here doing nothing but thinking up new ways of describing things that have been perfectectly acceptable for eons as some seem to be doing.

+1.
--
Frank

On 08/03/13 00:50, F Murtz wrote:

Isnt that the EU's job?
Buried in te back of my mind is the SF story about a society in which no one works except the very few that can get government funding for projects...two chaps decide that the solution is to apply for funding for a projectt to determine and asist people in finding new catepgores of things that attract government fudning.
I laughed.
Till I actually visited a company funded by the EU...
Of the ten staff, nine were employed in getting funding, and the tenth didnt appear to be doing anything at all..
--
Ineptocracy

John Rumm wrote:

John, as you and I have discussed the cpc/earth terminology usage in the wiki articles I know how you and I feel about the correct usage of the name cpc - well we agreed where to use the term. But if you were to call in at my local electrical wholsalers and ask for "cpc sleeving" they would either insult you or stand there looking blank and say "what?":-)
Now is it cpc or CPC and can you use either?:-)
--
Adam

On 2013-03-13, ARW wrote:

I'm sure I've seen "c.p.c." in a book recently.
On 13/03/2013 01:31, ARW wrote:

Well indeed - although I would point out I was not the one to introduce the term in this thread.
(in fact in my local TLC the other day I had to explain to the chap serving what a roll of mini trunking was - although they sell they stuff he had never seen it, and gave me a rather blank look when I asked for it!)

and can you order it from CPC? ;-)
--
Cheers,

John.
On 6 Mar, 19:46, a...@darkroom.+.com (A.Lee) wrote:

two

If the bare ends are twisted, sleeved and conected to the same terminal then it's obvious where they both go at this end.
If they are sleeved and terminated separately then it's no more obvious where they go at the far end.
Your statement only makes (some) sense if you are referring to sleeving and terminating separately and *then* twisting the cables so you can no longer tell one from the other.
MBQ