wiring help

Some of these PIR devices need a minimum current to work. The LED floodlight may not draw enough current. Check instructions.

Reply to
harryagain

I have rigged up PIR to flood indoors to check it before installing outdoors. When wired up the PIR `clicks` and also using a non contact voltage detector it appears that live is getting through. However the flood does not light (LED) To save me reconnecting everything would it be ok to take the wires going from the PIR Live & Live switch (leaving neutral as is) to bypass the PIR in order to check the flood is still working. The flood was working ok prior to final hook up but trying not to take it all apart if I can check as is.

Also is it ok to reverse the live and live feed on the PIR to see if that changes anything.

Trying not to blow myself up so guidance appreciated.

Reply to
ss

I suspect it thinks there's too much light to need it to come on. Most of thesee devices have adjustment so that you can turn them on in daylight for testing

Reply to
charles

+1 The OP should black out the photocell with something opaque and try again.
Reply to
Chris Hogg

I have played around with the settings to no avail.

Reply to
ss

They can take a minute to stabilise and respond. Some have their light come on if you switch off and back on again after a second.

Otherwise it looks as if it's faulty.

Reply to
Fredxxx

Tried that.

Reply to
ss

I have 3 PIRs and nonework in this siuation. I doubt if all 3 are faulty.

Reply to
ss

you should have live, neutral and earth from the supply to the PIR, then live neutral and earth from the PIR to the LED flood. if you disconnect the live wire to the LED light and connect it to the same place as the live feed, the power it on, does the LED light?

Maybe take a picture of the connections to see if there is anything obviously wrong.

Reply to
Toby

I havent tried switching anything yet, below is a picture of the wiring. I have labelled to make it clearer, the 3 cables with the white dot are coming from the mains feed as thats not clear in the image, I am also using waggo connectors which "Cables must be the same polarity i.e all lives or all neutrals etc."

ss

At the flood light you are, presumably feeding the light with black/red and brown?

Reply to
charles

yes

Reply to
ss

Ooops just checked again.....

Blue / Black (red) / Earth

Reply to
ss

That all looks fine to me.

I assume you stripped the ends of the cables before inserting them into the Wago terminals?

If so, try connecting the black cable from the flood to the brown wago terminal and then power it up - Does the LED light?

Reply to
Toby

Nope

Reply to
ss

Yes I did strip the cable ends before inserting, When I moved those wires as you suggested although the flood did not light there was a click from the PIR.

Reply to
ss

Sounds like the LED light is not working then, as that has directly powered the LED from the mains, irrespective of what the PIR is doing!

Try disconnecting everything and powering the LED only from the mains wire and see if you can get it going.

The fact the PIR is clicking means it is getting power.

Do you have a multimeter you can use to check there is power at the LED's power supply? (It will be 230v AC one side, and low DC the other (like 20-50v I guess)

Reply to
Toby

I will rewire direct later tonight and post back. I dont have a mains multi meter but have one for DC I used on motor bikes, it does allow me to check for continuity though.

Reply to
ss

It looks as if the cores going to the lamp are blue (neutral) and black/red (live). But what is at the lamp end of that cable? Is it expecting to see live on the brown? If so, you need to swap brown for black/red in the position marked 'A' in the RH Wago.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Apparently they are suitable for LED.

Reply to