why only 99.9% of germs dead?

I keep seeing adverts that state that the product kills 99.9% of germs dead. What can't we have a product that kills them all, like Screen?

Dave

Reply to
Dave

More to the point, is there a way of killing them other than dead?

Reply to
John Rumm

What's 'Screen'? Whatever it is, it doesn't kill 100% of bacteria - it might come close to it, under lab tests, like all the others making the claim of 99.99%, but as I said, this is under lab conditions - in the home, you would be lucky to achieve 60-80%, but it's all bollocks anyway, your food is covered in bacteria, unless you soak it in domestos first, and there are more bacteria in the body than there are human cells, so you could say we are just a collection of bacteria that has managed to walk upright and tell jokes.

Reply to
Phil L

I think it's because the manufacturer has no way of proving 100% killed, or something like that.

Reply to
Halmyre

I expect these are the same people who say "foot-pedal".

Reply to
Tim Streater

It means that they're a waste of time - 'cos it's the remaining 0.1% which are the virulent ones which kill *you*!

Reply to
Roger Mills

and "for free"

Reply to
John Rumm

Hee hee. You've got a point. The ones that survive are the ones that are most resistant to the glog. They pass that on to the next generation etc. Just like anti-biotics. Then 'We're doomed, Captain Mainwaring, we're doomed!'.

Peter Scott

Reply to
Peter Scott

IIRC it is (or at least used to be) 99.9% of KNOWN germs. So it was always the unknown germs that used to worry me.

Merry festive season of choice to you all

Dave R

Reply to
David WE Roberts

Oh, and does it kill the other 0.1% undead, so your kitchen surfaces are haunted by the living dead? I feel a B movie script coming on...

Reply to
David WE Roberts

: snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net...

Actually, it's the ad campaign that's come back from the dead. The "Kills 99% of household germs" advert for product "A" appeared on TV at least 20-30 years ago. a few weeks later, product "B" started advertising "Kills ALL known germs". I thought the story was told to trainee advertising executives as a lesson in not underselling your product (or being too honest), but maybe training isn't what it used to be.

Chris

Reply to
chrisj.doran

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember snipped-for-privacy@proemail.co.uk saying something like:

Doesn't matter what it's called, it still tastes like bleach.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

I'm thinking of introducing a cleaner that kills 0.1% of all known germs. Use that with the others and you'll be ok.

Merry Xmas.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

And of course "kills all known germs" has nothing to do with whether it will kill all the germs on a given surface. Merely that its known to be effective against all known species of bacteria/viruses/small boys/ etc

Reply to
Tim Streater

It is an acidic cleaner used in hospitals and the school I used to work at. It claims to kill MRSA and another hospital bug I can't bring to my alcohol washed brain at the moment.

I can see why you asked the question about what is it. I can't pick the product up on google.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

We have been here before in the old super bug thread, when it was decided to let the normal bugs compete with the super bugs and kill off their supply of food.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

You've obviously spotted a niche market!

Reply to
Roger Mills

You can kill all germs with Aqua Regia.

Reply to
Matty F

Talking of Domestos - why are there different coloured bottles? The gloop seems to come out the same colour. Perhaps it bleaches itself.

Reply to
John

Jeez I wouldn't like to be in the same room as that, let alone use it on a work top

Dave

Reply to
Dave