Why do thermometers never agree?

I have three thermometers, they read the same when placed next to each other. Put one in another room, and it reads colder, yet I can feel as I walk into the room that it's warmer.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Prick.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

Ah, another informative answer from thicko Pounder. You're as stupid as a southerner sometimes.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

It is not an answer, it is a remark. Learn the difference, prick.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

Maybe check humidity in both rooms with a sling psychrometer?

Reply to
Bob

They don't agree Because one is Republican, the other is Democrat and the third is most likely Libertarian.

Reply to
Hawk

Checked with a digital one. Only 3% difference. Which I think would slightly exaggerate the change I'd feel.

I think the problem is that the room isn't even throughout, they never are. I'm feeling the air in the middle as I walk through the door, the thermometers were on the wall at the edge.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Is it because of their mercurial temperament?

Reply to
Custos Custodum

Could be, I'll give them a jolly good talking to.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Or the humidity is different

In a humid summer I want my car at 19C. In dry cold winder 22 is more the mark.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Stupid question. Take the three thermometers together into each room before posing it.

Reply to
FMurtz

The thermometer is usually inserted into a nearby orifice (if you can only say mieaow or woof)

Reply to
Andrew

Was somone murdered in that room ?. Ghost ??

Reply to
Andrew

Set mine at 22C on the last few cars and never change it. Love good climate control in a car.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I thought you knew about physics.

What you feel is the differnce between your internal temperature and extenal temperature. That's why you don't feel 'the cold' when sitting in a cold stream with cold air around you. Which is also why hot countries have spicy food, and cold countries (othe rthan the UK perhaps don't)

Reply to
whisky-dave

Then stop feeling yourself, any excuse is it ?

why should it be, heat rises, cold falls.

I thought you knew physics.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Err, are you sure that you do ?.

HOT AIR rises(cos it expands). COLD AIR sinks (cos it contracts).

Heat is radiated, conducted or ...

Reply to
Andrew

I'm really not that fussy.

And what you're saying appears to be backwards. When it's humid, temperatures feel more extreme either way (think butterfly house - 100% humidity, your sweat can't evaporate), so you should be feeling not quite as cold when the winter is dry. Although I've never know a dry winter. Winter is usually 100% humidity here in Scotland. That means your skin is damp and you feel colder. A dry winter should feel a bit warmer.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

I'm just happy if I can see out the bloody window. Who the hell thought it would be a good idea to populate an island (the UK)? It's just wet, all the bloody time. Windows are always steamed up. Cars get damp and mouldy inside.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Shouldn't be necessary. All three thermometers have already been shown to agree.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey