Why do Tescos auto checkout machines always give change in (almost) the smallest amounts possible 5+5+5+5 = 20

Why do Tescos auto checkout machines always give change in (almost) the smallest amounts possible 5+5+5+5 = 20

Reply to
franklinKite

Because banks charge them for banking coinage.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

They don't always. However, they don't have every denomination of coin available to begin with, and if they run out of the larger coins they will use smaller ones. I've had 20p in pennies from one before today!

Mike

Reply to
Mike Humphrey

Why do Tesco auto checkout machines not give cashback if used with a debit card? At least, ours hasn't for some years now.

Reply to
Davey

Maybe they are after all just human? Its been my experience that anything under 10p coins are given out by everyone as nobody wants to have them so they mover them on. I also often wonder why some 5p and 2 ps are able to be picked up with a magnet while others are not. Cheapskate Royal Mint. I'm surprised they are not plastic by now. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Well, I hadn't observed that. Made me search and found this: What are 'bronze' coins made from? Why are some magnetic and some not?

Traditionally bronze coins were made from an alloy of copper, tin and zinc. Since September 1992, however, 1p and 2p coins have been made from copper-plated steel. The change was made because of the increasing price in world markets of base and non-ferrous metals. The copper-plated coins are the same colour, weight, diameter and design as those struck in bronze and circulate alongside them. There is one notable difference. Copper-plated coins are attracted to magnets because of the iron content of the steel core, whereas bronze coins are not magnetic.

In 1998, 2p coins were struck in both copper-plated steel and bronze. We may decide to do this again because, by having this flexibility to produce in either material, the Royal Mint can better meet customer needs promptly and cost effectively. From:

Richard

To empty the machine of unwanted crap?

Reply to
Judith

because they don't have enough hoppers for every coin

2p and 10p are (usually) the missing ones

tim

Reply to
tim...

It's why they offer cashback on debit cards.

Reply to
GB

Dunno about Tescos but my Sainsburys just got Contactless/Android Pay.

Brilliant. Why use money?

Reply to
Nick

Because they won't take shells?

Reply to
Richard

Because people like my wife feed all their coppers into the things. And they don't hand out the blue charity tokens.

Reply to
Geo

because you spent more than 30 quid

Reply to
tim...

If they want shut of unwanted crap I'll take it away for free.

Reply to
ARW

I spent over £80 yesterday (Android Pay) and it was fine. I'm not sure if that works everywhere. But it does Sainsburys & M&S.

Reply to
Nick

Because it wouldn't take too long before someone claimed they hadn't received the cash debited and auditing the machine to check is too much hassle.

Reply to
Peter Johnson

But the next door Morrison's does give cashback, and they don't appear to have a problem.

Reply to
Davey

Many people claim that there is a £20 or £30 limit on contactless. There is not a blanket limit : it depends on how the contactless reader works.

I believe that Boots has no limit for Apple Pay.

Reply to
Judith

It's £30 for contactless debit and credit cards.

Reply to
Max Demian

the vendor might have a lower "floor limit". Another thing about contactless cards, they often ask for your PIN, just to prove its in the right hands.

Reply to
charles