White fogging on glass

A couple of windows (single glazed sashes) have a thin irregular strip where the glass is white along the bottom edge.

I'm assuming this is the consequence of some over-enthusiastic blow gun stripping at some stage, but may be wrong.

Does anyone have a simple fix for this? I've tried rubbing but it seems to be more than superficial. I'd rather not have to replace the glass at the moment, as they will undergo major surgery inn due course (!)

Reply to
GMM

the glass is white along the bottom edge.

stripping at some stage, but may be wrong.

more than superficial.

major surgery inn due course (!)

A picture is worth a thousand words here, but some older clear window glass from the early 1900's can be slightly hazy and variable depending on relative humidity. Only really shows up when the sun catches it.

Generally I have only seen it affect an entire small pane in a sash window but the odd one stands out as different. We spent ages trying to clean one before it dawned that the glass itself was slightly clouded.

Reply to
Martin Brown

the glass is white along the bottom edge.

stripping at some stage, but may be wrong.

be more than superficial.

major surgery inn due course (!)

It's clearly not that then: This is a line about 2cm wide but irregular, along the bottom of the pane.

I presume it's effectively a surface effect, but that doesn't mean it's possible to do anything about it, of course...

Reply to
GMM