Which type of conduit to place in wet concrete?

I need to rerun an internal telephone cable in flexible conduit that will be set into a concrete floor which will be laid soon. Looking at the screwfix website there are two types.
20 and 25mm. Crush-resistant, self-extinguishing, LSF / Zero Halogen Polpropylene. Rated IP55. Use with 'Industrial' and 'Metal Clad' ranges. EN 50086 BS 4607.
and
20mm. Crush-resistant, PVC-coated Galvanised Steel Conduit and 10 nickel plated brass locknuts. Rated IP55. BS 50086.
Do I need to use the PVC coated Galvanised Steel version or can I use the cheaper version?
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/cat.jsp?cId 31822&tsb138
Many thanks
On Sat, 30 Dec 2006 07:20:44 -0000, OBone wrote:

IMHO you'd only *need* the steel version if mains was involved and it was going to be buried less than 50mm below the floor surface.
On the basis that there is no mains involved and steel will rust (even galvanised eventually) I'd use the plastic. Note it can be "fun" pulling cables through plastic corrogated conduit unless the run is dead straight, don't forget the bends at each end to bring the duct above the floor and always fit the biggest size you can. More space makes it a bit easier to add cables later and most of the "cost" (labour, time, ease) is putting the conduit in not materials.
--
Cheers snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

There's a solution to the corrugated conduit problem.
- Take small piece of cloth and tie a stout linen thread to it. Thread is a little longer than conduit
- Tie a piece of string to the thread. String is just over twice length of conduit
- Tie cable to string at the middle. Tape it carefully to prevent cable end snagging in the conduit.
- Tape a small piece of nylon stocking or eqivalent to one end of conduit.
- Place vacuum cleaner nozzle over same end and tape over to make a seal. Use duct tape - it's good enough for Tom Hanks and space rockets so will be fine for this.
- Turn on vacuum cleaner and introduce cloth carefully into open end of conduit. If it tends to stick, cut off some cloth.
- Introduce thread in slowly until it stops (length will show that it's add the far end.
- Turn off vacuum cleaner and remove nozzle and piece of nylon.
- Pull through thread, followed by string and cable.
- This will leave cable and a piece of string in the conduit for pulling through in the future.
Use 25mm conduit or preferably the larger 50mm stuff that's used under footpaths etc.
On Sat, 30 Dec 2006 20:37:11 +0000, Andy Hall wrote:

I got a draw line in (steel draw tape) but not matter how hard I pulled the CAT5 wouldn't come through unless the 20mm conduit was almost 100% straight.

B-) Apollo 13, must watch that again some time. Remember it from real time as well.
--
Cheers snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail
OBone wrote:

do you /need/ to rerun the cable ? can't you use DECT ?
if not, plastic is ok but as you've been advised already, put the cable in the conduit before setting it in the concrete.

Thanks for the replies. I have to run a cable as it will be used for broadband. I will also place the cable in the conduit before laying it in place.
OBone wrote:

cables ? what are these cables of which you speak ?
go wi-fi ;-)
On Sat, 30 Dec 2006 11:06:01 GMT, . wrote:

Cables? Reliable, secure, faster...
--
Cheers snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail
Dave Liquorice wrote:

yah, I can see you know a /lot/ about it.
On Sat, 30 Dec 2006 13:41:22 GMT, . wrote:

Are there any WiFi systems that'll run at 100Mbps throughput? Are there any WiFi systems that have physical only access? Are there any WiFi systems that "just work"?
--
Cheers snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail
Dave Liquorice wrote:

yes. though quite why anyone would resort to a slow network when the modern equivalent of floppynet is much faster and far more secure.

don't be silly, if the "hax0r" wants it enough they will simply steal the box.

yes. all the ones I set up do.
now I /really/ know how much you know, ta ;-)

You don't, you know.....
Dave Liquorice wrote:

There are, but this hasn't been standardized yet. They run at 108Mbps.
However, given that the broadband connection under ideal conditions will run at 8Mbps max (24Mbps max w/ADSL2/+) what's the point in having a LAN which is faster ? Pretty silly idea. Even then, in an office LAN I've seldom seen a serious need for high bandwidth.

I'm not sure what this requirement means.

Mine did, right out of the box.
Geronimo W. Christ Esq wrote:

Oh, you mean for managing it.
Yup, my router has a configuration setting so that it cannot be managed over the wireless connection.
Geronimo W. Christ Esq wrote:

shhhhh :-)
On 2006-12-30 16:50:36 +0000, "Geronimo W. Christ Esq"

The draft specs and manufacturers' marketing departments mention this speed. It is only achievable under ideal conditions over a short range.

Data transfers of large files?

In that case, I would turn on some form of security....
Andy Hall wrote:

It depends on the environment, but in an home/office LAN very seldom. I can't imagine why someone would have a LAN at home and spend time constantly copying files up and down. Nightly backups are just about the only practical example that I can think of ...

Why on earth would I do that ?
On 2006-12-30 21:15:08 +0000, "Geronimo W. Christ Esq"

Not true.
It depends on what the business is that they carry out on their home office.
If it is related to IT/networking or to some form of media handling then the data volumes can be large.

There are many more.

Up to you.
One philosophy is not to bother with security in the wireless domain, to treat the wireless network as dirty and connect to the protected network via a firewall.
A second one is to use one of the wireless security mechanisms
A third is to use both of the above.
A fourth (for the terminally stupid, and what tends to come out of the box) is to do neither.

BT Router impressed me the other day, out of the box with WPA enabled.Well done BT.
Dave

Did they remember to include the password?
Is it the same for all of them or based on something like the MAC address, or is it genuinely individual and random?