Which? Boiler test results

Matt you are also barking mad.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

The only way a sealed system is going to sludge up is if the user adds water daily for many months. As you say in the real world that happens, quite often. There is little I can do about that.

One thing is clear the extra cost of installing a Magnaclean achieves what? It won't stop the system having to be cleaned as part of the repair. If it makes any impact on keeping the system running any longer then one effect would be to prolong the damage to the system.

I can see a possible use for a Magnaclean.

Imagine a very large system (say something like C19 church hall or a small school), with enormous high water content radiators and pipework. You need to replace the boiler.

A reasonable way of doing this is to keep the old circuit intact and use a water-water heat exchanger coupled to the new C21 boiler (with sealed primary and inhibitor). A Magnaclean would be very useful to keep the old vented secondary side of the heat exchanger clear of bits.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Do you know what a Magnaclean is? I can understand the uk.d-i-y Lunatic Association not knowing....

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

It was so. Wriggling doesn't help.

Perhaps "generally", but not always. This was clearly a typographicical error. :-)

He/she wrote "Say this should be done and that should be done indices total naivety of the real world". It's blindingly obvious that "indicates" was meant. You might claim that DD is such an idiot that no- one can be sure what was meant, and that's a very appealing thought, but actually it's even more stupid than the Doctor's normal Drivel. Two wrongs don't make a right.

You responded "Indices is the plural of index, but we'll leave that aside". So what if "index" is the plural of "index"? (Actually it's only

*a* plural: "indexes" is another.) And who's this "we" that's going to leave the subject aside after you've raised it? Fat chance.

"Original": So what? Those who believe that etymology trumps current usage are idiots.

"Preferred": By whom? You?

If about 20% of users (including, as it happens, DD) write "naivety", and that word is listed in the NSOED without deprecation, it's presumptuous of you to claim that they should have written something else.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

A relative for 4 years constantly topped up the combi every week. Hey what? All the rads sludged up! We took each rad off and power hosed them out then used Fernox cleaner. I fixed the leaks of course.

On open vented systems, a Magnaclean is essential. I tend to like one pipe combined vent and feed systems over sealed, if they can go in.

I recently fitted a system and about 25% of the old pipe was retained along with the 20 yr old boiler. All new rads. A Magnaclean was fitted. It was amazed at the crap it picked up and continued to for 2 months after then all clean

Modern small tubed heat exchangers are prone to sludge solidifying inside. A Magnaclean will stop the sludge build up in the heat X and rads. Also it stops sludge build up in the plate heat Xs in combis too.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

It's the law of responding to grammatical errors in a post that the responder has to make an error himself (forget the name ...)

Reply to
geoff

Maxie, you are a breath of fresh air.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

In a perfect world...

However if I'm replacing a boiler from a CI on a system with all 1960/70s vintage rads then I'll put a mag cleaner on it rather than try to get the customer to pay me to replace all the rads.

Reply to
John Stumbles

It has quite a few names. There used to be a Wikipedia article about it ("Skitt's law") but although there are still links to it, the article itself seems to have disappeared, or been renamed where I can't find it.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

I have concluded that you are a total idiot..although about Matt. There you have it!

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

It's very clear that there were two sets of points - one related to the wording and the other to the content and wriggling doesn't come into it other than through your mentioning it.

That's a stretch at best.

By context of course it's obvious what the word should be. Wrong is still wrong.

Clearly not you, it would appear.

On a reasonable reference based on an internet search, it would appear to be something over 3:1.

I based my comment on proportionate use, which is entirely reasonable.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Fascinating!!! Two plantpots having a go at each other. Fascinating!

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

I can see the point in that scenario. However, if the radiators are in that poor a condition, then they really should be replaced because an unpredicted leak could be a very expensive proposition.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Who do you see yourself as? Weed?

Reply to