Where did HE go?!

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Bob Eager" saying something like:

The name rings a bell. I recall the seemingly inexhaustible supply of ex-Admiralty B40 sets, for 25quid or something like that.

About 10 years ago I finally bought one (actually a 62B), just to see if they were any good and, tbh, a bit of nostalgia. Amazing bit of kit.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

My recollection of p3 in electronics mags ( Practical Electronics, Practical Wireless, Television, etc ) was J.Bull Electrical, and Watford Electronics ( now rather more mainstream ).

Ex-MoD Osciliscopes, transmitters, Night-Vision photomultiplier binoculars, single-board processors, and cheap 100w 2N3055-based audio amp boards etc etc etc...

All good stuff. I've still got a marriage-busting quantity of it in the workshop!

Reply to
Ron Lowe

This would have been early 1960s, I guess...big table of valve numbers and little else. Practical Wireless, now you mention it.

As for J.Bull:

Ex-MoD Osciliscopes, transmitters, Night-Vision photomultiplier binoculars,

Now there's a good phrase...! In my case it's PC bits...many ancient.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Not just PC. I have an heap of Sun sparc stations and HP-Apollo 9000

715/730/735 systems running varous HP-UX versions just for fun! One of them is running my weather station server.

I only just junked some old ST506 hard drives.

Ive still got tons of SCSI-1, II, LVD drives ( my server PC runs SCSI-LVD

160 10,000rpm )

I never bought into IDE, untill my latest PC which is SATA, because I can get 300GB SATA for a fraction of the price of a SCSI Seagate Quantum cheetah

15000rpm drive. The economics forced me away from SCSI, sadly.

There's a pile of PC carcases which get re-cycled for relatives, too.

Reply to
Ron Lowe

In my case it's 3 VAXes...plus the PCs.

Mine runs SCSI-2 SE..

That was precisely my situation. Latest two machines are SATA-II.

Yes, that's what most of mine are. I have redeemed myself somewhat by building a small PC for the living room for 'general' use which is really quite small...a mini-ITX board and case, small LCD panel, small keyboard. Footprint little more than a sheet of A4.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Bull still exists and does much the same as before.

Dave Plowman (News)