Where can I get 2v sealed lead acid batteries in the UK

I want some 2v sealed lead acid batteries for a project, to drive the heaters of some vacuum tubes which need 1.5v at 2 amps. At present I'm using 6v batteries with big dropper resistors. I haven't investgated a voltage regulator yet, though this would be a good idea. I have a charger which can be set for 2.44v, and regular intervals up to 6.88v (and beyond). If and when I get 2v batteries, can they be charged at 2.44v? andy

Reply to
Eusebius

Wouldn't you be better off using single C or D cells? It's probably what the valve heaters were originally designed for.

You might even get away with NiMh cells.

Reply to
usenet

Depending on the age of the valves they are much more likely to be designed to run off a single lead acid cell of 2v nominal.

For the OP visit

and put "cyclon" in the search box.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Very old B4 and similar valves, yes, but the more modern DF series of B7G and B9A based valves were surely 1.4 volts weren't they? The OP did say 1.5 volts rather than 2.0 volts.

Reply to
usenet

Yes, by definition, if it used the European numbering system and began with D, it was 1.4v for the filament/heater. Designed to run off dry cells (I had a radio with those for years...a portable too!).

Reply to
Bob Eager

Yes, by definition, if it used the European numbering system and began with D, it was 1.4v for the filament/heater. Designed to run off dry cells (I had a radio with those for years...a portable too!). >>

The valves are 26 - american type, and yes each is 1.5v at 1 amp. Not the usual radio valves, which were more like 0.1 Amp. You could use D cells for those. And yes, the European valves were often 1.4v like 3A5,

1LE3, DC90, DC93, DC96. DC96 had only 30mA of filament current. The CPC link was absolutely right - probably the lowest prices. Looked them up in my catalogue, then phoned the supplier. Cyclons (2v) should be charged at 2.35v, and can be done so in a single stage - just needs a very smooth supply of about 1% ripple and capable of 2 amps according to them. Sounds like a DIY power supply would do this.
Reply to
Eusebius

You might even get away with NiMh cells. >

Hello - Depends how many you mean - remember we're talking 2 amps at

1.5v. NiMH are 2.8Ah. I tried them - they ran down almost immediately. I think Cyclon 2v are the way to go.
Reply to
Eusebius

Not if you go for D size NiMh or NiCd cells, NiMh can be up to 11Ah for a single D cell. I did explicitly say C or D size cells.

Reply to
usenet

I dont have a direct answer, but a few thoughts...

1A heater current is huge for filament valves: are these indirect heated valves by any chance? If so, you can put muck through them quite happily. A chopper to deliver the 6v at 1/16th duty cycle would work. No way could you do that with direct heated filaments of course.

Any lead acid can be converted to gel cell by mixing the right stuff into the electrolyte and pouring it back in. Trying to think, sodium silicate?

Finally your local lead acid battery manufacturer could always provide a cell to order.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Hello Chris: Not if you go for D size NiMh or NiCd cells, NiMh can be up to 11Ah for a single D cell. I did explicitly say C or D size cells. >>

Cripes - 11Ah in a D cell! I had no idea - do you have a reference I could look at? The Cyclon D cells are 2.5Ah. - seems about typical in my cursory experience of NiMHs. 11Ah would be another story.

Reply to
Eusebius

or 12Ah

might even find an quivalent 4/3D cell, presumably of 16Ah ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Well, this re-writes the text book. I have a Maplins NiMH charger which takes 4 D cells. I wonder if it would charge 4 of the 12Ah ones?

Reply to
Eusebius

Try it! Report back in a year or so....

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Reply to
blaildyors

Just do a Google search for "NiMh D" and you'll find lots of them. I found the 11Ah ones at

that's an American site but the Maha (Powerex) cells and chargers are widely available in the UK.

Reply to
usenet

Or search for 2v cylindrical cells

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

thanks for all the references - The 9Ah NiMH seem to be about =A315 in RS. That's about double the price of 8Ah Cyclons, though the cyclons are bigger. Economically seems like Cyclons are the way to go.

Reply to
Eusebius

In addition to the online sources, model shops - as in proper model shops that sell radio control planes etc - sell them as the power source for engine glow plugs.

MJ

Reply to
MJ