When we get old (er)

Will we be doing any of the following:

Press the buttons on our TV Remote really hard if it doesn't do what we want?

After locking the car with the remote, walk round and give each door 3 or 4 pulls of the door handle?

Use a Krooklock on our car despite it having an immobiliser and deadlocks?

Give the taps an extra turn to the off position every time we go near the sink.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Already do - because my volume buttons are knackered!

Do that if leaving all day in a less friendly area. Partly to check all windows are fully closed and that the doors are too. When 3 other people just piled out, I don't like making assumptions.

No. Last time I used one, it was on my Maxi at uni. And someone used to still pick the door lock (not hard) and get the lock off and push the car around the car park for a joke! So I never bothered - if students can get the off, I dare say proper crims can too!

I installed 1/4 turn levers to avoid that!

Reply to
Tim Watts

What! You don't do that already? :-)

Never do (I might check the that the lock buttons are down or recycle from unlocked to locked and alarmed) so can't see me breaking an established habit.

I have a vague recollection that I *might* have used a crook lock on a Reliant three wheeler nearly four decades ago but not more recently than that, so again, not an established habit I'm likely to have any reason to resume at any time in the future.

Actually, that's a habit of younger people rather than us more knowing 'old timers' who know better than to prematurely wear out kitchen mixer tap washers by needless excess compression. I've developed a well established habit of closing such taps with the barest of sufficiency to shut them off (knowing full well, that on mixer taps particularly, there's a considerable latency between properly closing a tap and the cessation of drips from their rather capacious spouts).

If such a tap doesn't seem to have been shut off sufficiently, I'll only apply the gentlest of tweaks to 'fully close' said tap. In this case, "sufficient" is more than enough and any more is just going to needlessly shorten the tap washer renewal maintenance cycle. :-)

Reply to
Johnny B Good

I orient the C and H marked domes so that they are in the correct orientation when the tap is adequately turned off. Turning off a tap is akin to placing a lid over a hole - forcing the tap closed is a sign that all is not well - eventually the thread starts to wear.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Are we going to have the game of seeing who is the oldest here so that he/s he can be saying they've been doing these things for 50 years !

Don't watch telly

Never have - I just listen to the clunk of all the locks going over.

What's a Krooklock ? Or am I too old ? >

Ahh - now that's a different story. Just how many times do I go to bed aft er my wife and have to do just that !! But then we use a kitchen mixer tap that is clearly designed for mains pressure hot water and just how often d o either of us leave the hot water running because we can't hear it !!

I'll add in my pet hates of things left in passageways to be tripped over a nd always have to be moved, and ditto for china etc. left right on the edge of worktops and tables just waiting to be knocked to the floor.

Reply to
Rob Graham

Nope.

Er, yes.

Nope.

Hell no.

You forgot giving the fridge door a push to make sure it is closed when you walk past it.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

I rarely get to use it.

I am usually too far away to do that. I simply look to see if the mirrors have folded in.

The harder you make it for somebody to steal your car, the greater the risk that you will get mugged for the keys. Besides, mine has a tracker.

Difficult with 1/4 turn taps.

Reply to
Nightjar

Doing that on my car unlocks it again.

Reply to
Bob Eager

In message , Rob Graham writes

I check the house doors are locked.

You missed the table lamp that is the only acceptable way to light the unoccupied dining room and has to be placed just where a passing elbow can knock it flying.

Otherwise, after nearly 48 years not counting courtship, most of the annoyances have mellowed.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Do at work,

Don't at home because my fridge beeps like a whiny thing if it's not closed :)

Reply to
Tim Watts

Going out for 1/2 hour - don't care.

Going away for a week: check everything 600 times!

Reply to
Tim Watts

First thing I'd do is remove the beeper. Cars that do that when lights are on annoy me to.

Reply to
James Wilkinson

That's OCD not getting old (er).

Reply to
Mike Lander

I always give the spout a little wiggle when the flow ceases.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

My wife does this now.

I keep a Krooklock in the car. I leave it as an exercise for the reader as to what it's for.

Reply to
Huge

I keep the 3' metal handle for opening the loft hatch behind my bedroom door, though I can comfortably reach the catch without it :-P

Reply to
Andy Burns

But what about the tap?

Reply to
Tim Watts

My son is a chef. He has a pepper mill:

Bob Eager

Now there's a really simple DIY job right there.

Carefully "fiddling" your way around the seam of the remote you'll eventually workout where the internal clips hide (4 most likely)and which direction to ease them with a fine bladed tool to split the case.

Once you have the remote in half(s) the conductive "rubber" key-pad can be lifted off as a complete sheet and you'll spot the dirty contacts on the PCB. Give them all a wipe with your preferred cleaning solvent (Think I used nail varnish remover last time) and clean the contact side of the rubber buttons while you're at it.

Reassemble and your remote is good as new once more.

:)

Reply to
0345.86.86.888

OCD now there's a topic that deserves it's very own thread...

1 - Always turning back around once you've left the car and pinging the remote to see the indicators flash (for those of us without auto folding mirrors) 2 - having to re-arrange the dishwasher every day because "they" have put randomly intermingled cutlery in the cutlery drawer or put a small plate between 2 big plates etc. 3 - re-hanging all the washing on the airer with nylons on the bottom rungs and cottons on the top rungs... grouping socks together in pairs and oh so many other things I'd be listing them all night.

I find it odd that I'm OCD to the tiniest degree with stuff like cable runs, clip spacing and stuff like that but my work space whether it be paperwork or tools looks like we've been burgled....

Reply to
0345.86.86.888