What the hell are these blue things ?

https://goo.gl/maps/VU56ryDiZJs
Looks like some sort of sewer vent system, but why so many of them ?
On 9/15/18 4:44 PM, Rod Speed wrote:

Circle of Light, city "art" project
Excerpt from https://www.kansas.com/opinion/opn-columns-blogs/article1150001.html
"I mention all this because of the little dustup about the city of Wichita’s latest public art project – the installation of a “circle of light” at the strange intersection of Central, McLean and Meridian.
The circle will be formed by 14 neon towers stretching 32 feet into the air – tall stuff by our standards. The towers will change color as often as every hour, programmed by computer.
City officials say the effect will be warm and wonderful. They say the circle will be a western gateway to downtown and the Riverside museum district .
The cost is $363,000 in city money, which briefly was your money and mine."
--Your Tax Dollars at Work-- ;-)

Figures I spose, they are much too wide to be sewer vents.

On 9/15/2018 6:14 PM, Rod Speed wrote:

I have mixed feelings on that sort of thing. The cost may be huge or trivial depending on the city budget. It is nice to have some fancy decorative stuff, but it should be a priority behind road repair. collapsing bridges, school supplies, and the like. A city like say, Flint Michigan should not spend the money but put it elsewhere.
On Saturday, 15 September 2018 23:40:18 UTC+1, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Nice, yes. Well... often the 'art' is nothing but junk. But 1/3 of a million of nice? No.
NT

Portsmouth version was much cheaper. https://goo.gl/maps/XidaFbSXRBp
It is actually a bit of the old gasworks.
GH
On 09/15/2018 04:40 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/afterword/2009/11/jeanneclaude-and-christos-yellow-umbrellas.html
I frequently ran I5 in the '90s and remember these things popping up like mushrooms. Supposedly the the artists funded the $26 million project themselves.
http://www.kansastravel.org/keeperoftheplains.htm
Got to outdo the Big Indian.
On 15/09/2018 23:40, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Fixing the deadly water supply should be number 1 priority, surely ?
Ed Pawlowski posted for all of us...

+50 and growing as my blood pressure goes up and my wallet deflates.
--
Tekkie

On 17/09/18 21:54, Tekkie® wrote:

Well that is the logic of socialsim of course.
Not one penny spent on a church whilst one man remains poor.
And yet it was the socially funded parsons and gemtlemen of provate means who had the time to count worms and take weather readings and ponder life's mysteries that in te end did more to alleviate poverty than taking their livelihoods away ever would.
twenty-first century’s developed world went into hysterical panic over a
On Tuesday, 18 September 2018 08:27:22 UTC+1, The Natural Philosopher wrot e:

?
Though installing some blinking lights will not achieve that.
And they did not generally do it on public funds.
NT
In alt.home.repair, on Sun, 16 Sep 2018 06:44:00 +1000, "Rod Speed"

There are 4 and 2 of them on the corners behind us also, and one more on the median strip to our left! that makes 14 of them.
Isn't Kansas where our ICBMs are located. These must be silos for extra long missiles.
I think one of them was supposed to go in the middle of Mclean, but the wimps moved it to the median strip. Better drivers could have just avoided it.