what switched you off a thread?

For me it is the "Senile;e" alert, what a waste of space!

Reply to
Broadback

Normally I enter / leave when it drifts into or out of an area where I am interested, or feel I have something of use to contribute. By the time it has degenerated[1] to political name calling, I go.

[1] and quite a few seem to start there.

I just filter out all of those...

Reply to
John Rumm

I am with you John, it is amazing how quick threads degenerate to political mudslinging or just general slanging off. I think the record is from a genuine DIY post to crap in about 5 posts. See if the trolls can pick up on this thread and do their worst!

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

It was funny for a while.

It's now as funny as 1970's TV stand up comedians.

Reply to
ARW

In message <qrghv6$f5d$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me, Broadback snipped-for-privacy@j-towill.co.uk> writes

Lack of snipping. Once I have to page through reams of crap to find the most recent words of wisdom, I don't.

Reply to
Graeme

First it's got to switch me ON to a thread. I haven't time to read everything so I skip those that are obviously nothing to do with DIY and those that don't explain what they are about in the subject. After that I get Agent or Thunderbird to watch just those threads until I get bored.

Sometimes someone asks what for me is a really interesting question but either other people miss it first time around or they don't know the answers either. I'm still watching the Dye Transfer threadstarter, just in case....

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

Its one line replies often at the very bottom of the thread, and which have no humour content at all. grin Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa)

Luckily text is very space efficient compared to web content on forums. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa)

DIY is a disappearing skill these days. The snowflake generation doesn't want to get it's hands dirty.

Reply to
harry

+1
Reply to
Terry Casey

+1

Plus

The thread degrading into a pointless endless noncommunication between two posters.

Posts that only contain a URL

Reply to
alan_m

In article snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com, Tricky Dicky snipped-for-privacy@sky.com writes

When posts get pages long because no-one bothers to snip.

Reply to
bert

I think you'll find the snowflake gen arenlt really allowed to. The homes being build are already decorated and furnished and then you only own a 50% share some are now 25% , and you arenlt allowed to make large changes when you live on the 10th floor of a block, you can't just knock a wall down.

Few can afford to buy a house without help from parents, which is why banks and building societies are coming out with special options where parents are ropped in as guarentees for loans.

Also the sort of things that you probbaly did in the past can be bought now much cheapr than you can build, and there's few jobs needed for those skills. The workplace has changed and the skills needed have also changed.

Reply to
whisky-dave

We looked into acting as a guarantor.

BS wanted child to be able to pay the mortgage. Separately they wanted me to be able to pay it out of my pension. The idea that all I'd have to do would be top it up if he was struggling isn't on the menu.

They also wanted us both to go through some forms detailing exactly what we spend on what. I don't know about him, but I have no idea what we spend on toilet rolls. I do know what we spend each month, but not what on.

It ended up my wife is a co-owner, and he pays us rent on the other half. We used retirement savings instead of a mortgage.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris