What's the best flooring wood to tile onto?

Having a look around my local DIY place there's the choice of P4 and P5 chipboard, OSB3, plywood and structural plywood. They're all 18 mm width and can all be used for flooring but, which is the best to use to tile onto? To me the obvious answer is the one that has the least expansion change between hot and cold conditions to minimise the chance of the grout cracking. Does anyone know which is the best please? Oh, and if you have a recommendation for the type of adhesive and grout to use that would be helpful too. Thanks.

Reply to
clangers_snout

Not sure on the wood front but I think you need to use flexible adhesive when tiling onto wood for the exact reasons you mention regarding movement. Probably best paying a visit to your local tile shop and asking them. Or, have a look on this DIY forum

Slider

Its not temperature you want to worry about, its moisture and flex.

Floor garde chip aint bad, but with prolonged soakingg will well. WPB ply is the best bet really.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

yes,. >6mm bed of flexible, or you can get away with 10mm of rapid set. Expensive tho.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Personally, I would not touch chipboard or OSB in a month of Sundays if it was on the Ground floor First floor has much less risk. I agree with the post re the adhesive as that is key If I were doing this I would go for the best ply possible Chris

Reply to
mail

First of all wood is a terrible thing to lay ceramic tile on to. I don't know what you'll use in England however in the states we use cement board or hardibacker. In the us it comes in 1/2 & 1/4 inch.

You have to use this on top of the wood.

This stop expansion and such if applied correctly.

If you have further questions you should join

and ask some questions.

Reply to
bill