Wet, wet, wet

What about if your machine is like mine with centre outlet (i.e. between two counter rotating blades). That presumably limits you to only using a quarter of the deck's width?

The "worst" areas in my case would be the third of the lawn you could water ski across with a good run up ;-)

John,

Counter rotating blades are a PITA. Half width cut can help, but frequently clogs. Several light cuts of under an inch is preferable. With SHARP blades. (You could get the trailing edges raised up a few degrees to assist airflow/throw)

Turf cutter, lift the top off down to about 1½", remove next 2 -3" of topsoil (Or whatever is there) and add sand in place. Ordinary mortar sand

50/50 with dry soil will be better. Relay the turf and water well. This works for small areas that may have a depression rather than a large area which needs better drainage assistance.

Stop struggling with the bigger wet areas and using this summer (If it appears) to sort some simple herringbone/french drain type drainage.

Dig herringbone shape channels about 3-4" wide joining at the centre of the wettest part and downward to an area where drainage will help elsewhere or out into a soakaway (If you feel brave enough to dig one) Use pebbles as a base and cover with a twice the width of the drain fabric strip. Relaying turf over the drain without fabric will let the roots get back in and restrict flow later on

Wet patches that bad will never go away until drainage helps.

I've dug miles of simple land drain over the years and it works if the simple French drain/Herringbone idea is used

Reply to
Nthkentman

We used a Westwood for years and with its powered brush it always collected the clippings. Trouble was getting rid of the clippings. Don't talk to me about composting them. Tried everything and none of them worked. Usually en ded up with a stinking green pile of wet sludge.

Gave it up and bought a forward control Husqvarna with a mulching desk. Get s in and around beds much better then the Westwood did.

Reply to
fred

the clippings. Trouble was getting rid of the clippings. Don't talk to me about composting them. Tried everything and none of them worked. Usually ended up with a stinking green pile of wet sludge.

So what? green sludge ends up as black slime and then organic topsoil mulch.

in and around beds much better then the Westwood did. well yes. mulching can work too.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher