Welding mask - necessary?

I was welding heavy current under large assembly, flipped up hood to look at weld, and as I moved position caught a big flash as rod stuck arc up close to where I was looking. Initially just unable to see properly out of one eye, residual image of teh flash ... carried on work .. then feeling of sand in the eye, and that got worse & worse ... intensely painful.

Whether it's the intent flash, up close, high current ......... but I would NEVER arc weld without a shield .... EVER.

Illogical and senseless to do so, the intense UV alone is bad enough.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

I'm not arguing about anything, I was asking advice on welding.

Reply to
Gefreiter Krueger

Seems ok with a little welder to peek at it briefly. The timing of my left hand on the visor is never quite in sync with my right hand on the welder.

Reply to
Gefreiter Krueger

Don't tell him that. I'd quite like to hear that he had gone blind.

Reply to
Huge

It is when "Gefreiter Krueger" has it.

Reply to
Huge

Reply to
Gefreiter Krueger

Oh do grow up.

Reply to
Gefreiter Krueger

Its your eyesight, so you do as you wish if you value it so little.

Reply to
John Rumm

I can't magically make myself perfectly coordinated. I did some yesterday and have noticed no ill effects.

Reply to
Gefreiter Krueger

Its worth keeping in mind that the wavelength of the UV in question also has an effect. For example UV A (400 - 350 nm) penetrates the skin deeply, but does not cause tanning or redness. It does however cause chemical breakdown products that are highly reactive and which can in turn cause skin or DNA damage. UV B will cause tanning / sunburn, in the short term, but can have longer term effects like causing cataracts which may not manifest for years.

Reply to
John Rumm

I gave up noting down which letter did which, as they changed their mind a few times. When going out in the sun, I prefer to go out less if I'm getting red rather than use creams.

Reply to
Gefreiter Krueger

Have you never heard of snow-blindness?

Reply to
Apellation Controlee

I've heard of people getting sunburn on their face without any eye effects, so it's clear the skin gets it first.

Reply to
Gefreiter Krueger

Then maybe an auto visor would be better for you

Could be you are in the habit of watching arc strike then using shield .... bad practise, and not good for your eyes.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

maybe a simple consideration for you ....... nobody has yet been able to see out of a glass eye ........ you want to take the risk go ahead, nobody with any common sense will advise you to do so.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

No, I mean to position it then lower the shield to strike. But I don't = time it right every time, rather like a learner driver crunching the gea= rs by using the clutch and gearlever out of sync. I guess it just needs= practise.

-- =

An ostrich=E2=80=99s eye is bigger than its brain.

Reply to
Gefreiter Krueger

For anyone sensible the answer is yes you always need a welding mask for protection from the arcs hard UV component and any flux splatter.

But why don't you try it without and then experience the pain of welders flash - if you are very lucky you might not do any permanent damage to your eyes. Welders use a mask and wear gloves for good reason.

Reply to
Martin Brown

The gloves seem a bit over the top.

Reply to
Gefreiter Krueger

An auto darkening helmet is the solution...

Not yet at least.

Reply to
John Rumm

If I was doing more than one job.