Way OT: Setup of HP Laserjet 2200 DTN

Apologies for the outlandish enquiry but I'm hoping that someone will have experienced this type of problem.

I have inherited an HP Laserjet 2200DTN printer that was connected as a network device at my wife's former firm. It happily produced single and double sided documents without fault.

I have encountered two problems:

[1] I can successfully add it to my network using HP Web Jetadmin for a few days after which the IP address changes and thus the printer dissapears from the network. This would not be a dreadful problem as I can connect it via USB or parallel to one on my PCs where it not for: [2] It will print as many copies of a single sided sheet page as I need. However if I try to print multiple copies of a double sided sheet it will print at most 5 copies before stalling. As far as the print menus are concerned the job is completed but the printer simply stops with the data light flashing. Power cycling seems the only way to clear the problem. (NB this problem seems to be independent of connection type).

Rather than me speculate pointlessly as to the solution, any suggestions would be gladly received - even a more appropriate NG.

TIA

Richard

Reply to
rjs

On Sat, 01 Oct 2005 15:36:29 +0100, rjs scrawled:

Sounds like it's using DHCP for the IP address and every few days if renews it? Set the printer manually to somewhere outside of the DHCP pool.

Good luck on that one, I've given up with trying to print anything other than single sided A4 on my trusty old HP laser.

Reply to
Lurch

Yes. I was afraid you were going to say that! My network knowledge of printers is fairly (rather) limited! OTOH the duplex printing is the primary problem so I may not worry overly about it being USB connected. However I was expecting (hoping) someone would say 'what is ********* set to? It should be $$$$$$$$$ for successful duplex' and find that I could only interogate the printer via JetAdmin.

The primary reason for 'inheriting' the printer was reduction in paper use - I have to sent out membership packs for a group of rivet counters.

I have a sneeky, baseless, feeling that timeout settings may be involved

It is more than niggling that it worked before I got my hands on it!

Rgds

Richard

Reply to
rjs

we always set up printers on a static IP and never install the software executables but print to a tcpi/p port . This avoids putting software on servers and terminal services havoc we find that the main issue will be my rule of 6 there are 6 places that you need to put A4 insted of letter Modern printers will detect paper size and self adjust hth phil

Reply to
nimbusjunk

we always set up printers on a static IP and never install the software executables but print to a tcpi/p port . This avoids putting software on servers and terminal services havoc we find that the main issue will be my rule of 6 there are 6 places that you need to put A4 insted of letter Modern printers will detect paper size and self adjust hth phil

Reply to
nimbusjunk

Your printer has been set to use either BOOTP (unlikely) or DHCP (almost certainly) to get its network address. You must have something on your network that is also handing out IP addresses on request (broadband router perhaps?)... Each time the lease expires on the IP address it is getting a different one from the DHCP server.

To fix this, visit the printers own internal web page[1], where you will find a configuarion facility. Click on the Networking button and the select "Manual" from the "IP Configuration Method" drop down. You can now enter a fixed IP address and netmask (you can set the default gateway to the same as the IP address). Note that if you set it to something different from the address it currently has then you will loose comms with it once you click the apply button.

[1] Do this by entering the current IP address of the printer into the address field of your web browser. You can find this from the jet direct utility, or from the preferences of the printer options dialogue, or by simply printing to it and then entering "arp -a" at a command prompt to display a list of all of the LAN devices that you have recently communicated with.

Are you talking about a document that is only 2 sides long, or with longer docs? With longer docs you may run into (lack of) memory problems on the printer.

Reply to
John Rumm

Thank you John et al

I'll have a play.

Regarding the duplex printing: I'm trying to print several (more than 5) copies of a 2 page document.

BTW the printer memory has been expanded to a whole 16Mb!

TIA

Richard

Reply to
rjs

You must have something on your

The three PCs are networked via a Linksys Etherport 10/100 5 port workgroup switch (EZSX55W) to which the 2200 DTN was also connected (until this loss of IP address problem started - i.e. a day or so after adding it to the network!)

Richard

Reply to
rjs

[snip]

What OS are you using? Do you have the manuals? They can be downloaded from

- search on Laserjet 2200DTN and scroll down to find "manuals". Or I could email them to you - around 4Mb in total (2 files) in PDF.

I prefer to use a fixed IP address for the printer and run a HP4000 in this manner, with the drivers loaded on each PC.

comp.periphs.printers

is a good group for asking questions.

Regards

Reply to
Nobody

XP Pro

Do you have the manuals?

Yep. But they don't seem to help me regarding the duplexing problem. And I must confess that my understanding of the black art of networking is VERY limited!

They can be

Thanks. I'll repost the question

Reply to
rjs