Wave hand light switch

Changes to bathroom now has cord switch dangling over a tall radiator.

Considering alternatives but most will always turn the light on when you enter - which we may not want in the dead of night.

Is there something that only responds to something deliberate - like a hand wave:?

Reply to
John

yes, but it can be annoying ...

I have one under my bathroom cabinet that turns on the illuminated/heated mirror, you wave your hand, it takes a fraction of a second where you think it hasn't activated, so you wave again, and it then belatedly turns on then straight off again.

You go to pick a towel from the nearby rail, the Ir switch sees this and turns on when yu don't want it to.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Hand clap light switch?

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

I've put the new[ish] IP67 Quinetic wireless switches in our new (well, it's on the way) wet-room. They are 'single action' push switches that toggle the controlled circuit so all you have to do is push the switch with finger, elbow, nose, hip, whatever and the light goes on (if it's off). Then same again to turn it off.

Reply to
Chris Green

Could be set off by a loud fart while on the throne. That'd put you off.

Reply to
Bob Eager

The Hue motion sensor works much more reliably than that and its easy to specify how long it comes on for using the app and what light level it has to see before turning the light on.

Not cheap for the minimum hardware needed, but works very well indeed.

But with the Hue movement sensor, easy to put it where that doesn?t happen.

Reply to
jeikppkywk

Whatabout Alexa, turn on the bathroom light? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

"Brian Gaff" snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in news:qkqclk$ich$1@dont- email.me:

Not going to go down that route Brian.

Mostly, if we go in the night we do not want the bright light on and there is a slight glow from a digital clock.

Reply to
John

What about those Kinetic Switches that need no direct wiring? Do they make a loud click?

It seems they can be just stuck onto a tiled wall. Receiver in the ceiling.

Reply to
John

I just have a basic PIR with a built in buld from B&Q, it;s orabge and about 2-4W, if I want a brighter light I use the pull cord to switch on the 3X40W lights. I find at night I don't need much illumination in order to see what I'm doing. I know some friends take a book in the bog with them so they need as brighter light.

Reply to
whisky-dave

does she stick her hand out of the box and pull the cord?

tim

Reply to
tim...

so what's wrong with the pull switch?

Reply to
tim...

whisky-dave snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

A tall radiator is in the way of the cord of the cord switch

Reply to
John

That's what I recommended earlier in the thread. :-)

Reply to
Chris Green

It might have push written on it.

Reply to
whisky-dave

"tim..." <tims_new snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote in news:qkt0le$nvt$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Just had bathroom refit and the cord is dangling in the wrong place now. May have to move swithch - but was hoping to find a way of avoiding doing that.

Reply to
John

Are you allowed to use remote control switches in that area or are they illegal because you still have the option to touch them to engaged them ? as most remotes do allow that Perhaps if you have one of thioose security versions that connect between the ceiling 'bulb' and the holder might be a solution just don;t drop the remote in the bath.

Reply to
whisky-dave

bell cranks?

Owain