waterproofing a barn built into the hillside

Ah, it is France?

Self-build is not subject to regulations surely in France?

Reply to
js.b1

If the water or sewage system is unsanitary, or the property is seriously damp through lack of heat, then it can be condemned as unfit for habitation.

AIUI it is also illegal to rent a property which falls below 'tolerable standard' but Scottish law may be different.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

You will have to demonstrate, probably by a trial pit and sample stress testing, that the concrete forms a suitable foundation for the block wall and its load. A few inches of unreinforced concrete of unknown mix strength is unlikely to comply.

If you are converting from agricultural building to dwelling (change of use) you have to comply with *current* Building Regs as for a new build.

What does your Building Control Officer suggest as whatever you do is going to have to be approved by him?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

we are not changing the outside structure, and the barn is less than

75m2 so do not have to submit plans for approval, but I will check with my builder to see if he can do a stress test. He is doing the block walls and we will do everything else.
Reply to
Catherine Davis

Spose only real way forward is to sample dig that concrete floor to see whether it is worth building off or whether it's just a "smear" of concrete to make "la merde de vache" easier to shovel.....

Bonne Chance _ now we know where we are!!

JimK

Reply to
JimK

thanks to everyone for their suggestions, I feel better equipped to tackle it now.

Reply to
Catherine Davis

BCOs can't insist at all (unless it's a conversion to a public building). For a change of use to a dwelling, Part A (Structure) only applies to the actual work you carry out, and making sure that what you do doesn't make the building less compliant than before you started.

To the OP; either a tanking membrane (such as a Newton membrane), or a cementicious waterproof render (such as Vandex) will be required for any formal conversion.

Reply to
Hugo Nebula

thanks for clarifying Hugo - much appreciated. JimK

Reply to
JimK