Washing machine with workshop manual.

I think I am going to be forced to buy a new washing machine. Are there any where you can download the equivalent of the workshop manual so I can work out why it may not be working properly?

What I would really like is one with a USB port that I could plug my laptop in and it would say, 'I am waiting for the water to warm up' - or whatever.

Reply to
Michael Chare

It wouldn't surprise me if some machines these days had a built-in diagnostic connector of some sort. But I imagine that it would require a proprietary device - only available to service engineers - to connect to it.

If you've problems with your existing machine which you want to diagnose, Haynes do a generic washing machine repair manual which may give some clues.

Reply to
Roger Mills

In John Lewis the other week, saw a somewhat different looking washing machine. The Samsung rep came over and very pleasantly engaged in conversation. I rather flippantly said something like: "Can you connect from your iPad and control it?"

"No - but you can with this one..."

With a price of £1672 or £1726 or somewhere in that region, I decided not to go any further. :-)

Reply to
polygonum

Miele washing machines come with a service booklet hidden inside the machine (well, ours did.)

They aren't cheap, though.

Reply to
Huge

I have thought about replacing the microcontroller with a Raspberry Pi.

Increasingly few machines are designed to be servicable anymore, as they're designed with significantly shorter lifespan.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

The basic principles are common to all. You can find manuals online at random sites

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I think the OP is after the equivalent of ODBC II for household appliances.

Sadly there isn't one...

Reply to
Tim Watts

+1 I have a Miele. Twenty odd trouble free years. There is a filter on the waste pump needs cleaning out every five years or so. Five minute job through a little hatch on the front of the machine.

I just hope f****g Zanussi don't take them over and turn them into crap.

harryagain

I think Hoover was the last one. Planetary gearbox, double clutch and two speed induction motor.

Reply to
harryagain

Could this be the way forward for entertainment? Probably more interesting than the tv.

I was rather intrigued when I heard the prise list of The Gadget show the other night why you wanted a kettle with Y-fi connectivity, can you fill it by remote control? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I was told that some LG models run on a cut down version of Linux and the control software is open source, but quite how one might go about using this info I have no idea. I'd imagine any choices made by the manufacturers revolve around making it cheap! Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Parents had an English Electric Liberator, with a large gearbox, and several mains solenoids around it to change gear. I still vividly remember the loud bangs as the solenoids changed gears through the wash cycle.

They had it 25 years and it still worked when they got rid of it. About half way through its life, dad had to replace a slip clutch, which was just a giant spring wrapped around the shaft that would drive the drum, but allowed the drum to freewheel if it was already rotating faster than it was being driven when changing down gears. It didn't have the capability of reversing the drum, so clothes all came out tangled up.

Andrew Gabriel

No, but that could be done. Interesting project...use one of those wall mounted plumbed-in 'kettles' with a solenoid operated water valve and a level sensor. Then turn it on with a big relay. And if it dopesn't have a boil sensor, easily fitted together with a safety timeout.

Hmmmm...

Reply to
Bob Eager

I guess they should have gone with a long wash cycle with minimal agitation. Or maybe a simple disc & shaft arrangement that just wobbled the drum back & forth. Or perhaps use a pump to agitate instead of moving the drum.

NT

Reply to
meow2222