WARNING UNSUITABLE FOR VIEWING BY CHILDREN Darning sox

Some of my very heavy wool nylon mix sox have developed a few small holes.
Not yet clear why, whether that is bad manufacture, most likely, or due to the way I wait for a full load of washing before doing that so that some sit for a while before being washed. Unlikely to be the last because the previous ones I used didn't do that and were treated the same way.
Since they are only small holes, not big thin patches, I have decided to try darning them.
Easy to find the needles and eggs/mushroom things to do it and my mum taught me how to do it when I was a little kid. But its amazingly hard to find some decent wool to use to do the darning with even with the word wool in the search term on all of ebay, amazon and aliexpress. Most is cotton or synthetic even when it has wool in the title.
Thought occurred to me that the obvious source of wool to use is one of the sox.
Anyone know of any good reason why that wouldn't work ?
On Tuesday, 22 May 2018 22:39:51 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:

of course it works. But if you've ever experienced darning you'll know the result is lumpy unless you do a proper + shaped weave. The more popular semirandom darn is... darned lumpy.
BTW darning is many times quicker on a sewing machine. But really why would anyone darn socks now?
And you don't need a darning mushroom, a fist works.
NT

I meant maybe the wool from one sock is too crinkled to be ideal.

I already said I have.

These holes are too small for that. Looks rather like there are loose ends that have come apart and the holes are in various places. Clothes moths wont eat the wool mix, they wont even eat jeans, just cotton T shirts and undies.

Don’t buy that given the weave of these heavy wool sox.

I have one and did see the feet when getting darning needles and a darning egg.

Because it might well be a quick fix.

Much worse.
Depends on the age of the sock. If the wool is already wearing its rather false economy I'd have thought. Brian
--
----- -

It isnt. The problem appears to be due to loose ends in what the sox are made of that end up as a hole.

No economy involved. I get those sox at the field days and they only happen a couple of times a year here.